Tested Five Engines Today for my Savage XL

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cohibakid

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Picco .28: Awesome engine, lots of low end torque, had no problems getting it to hold a tune, great sound, $185

HPI K9: Little difficult to tune, runs a little hot, not as good low end as the Picco, great high end, once you get going this engine keeps going. $165

Axial .28: Great engine for the money, good low end, easy to tune, runs a little on the hot side, good top end $110

Ofna Force .28: Difficult to tune, ok low end, good top end, I would not recommend this engine unless you love to tune your engine frequently $165

Ofna Force Hyper Mach .28: Same results as with the Ofna Force $165

Overall engines all performed well, little disappointed with the K9, on the tunning side, if you have the money go with the Picco, but if you are looking to save a buck you can't beat the Axial .28.

All of these engines ran rough during break in with a lot of flooding, they all ran better after 5 tanks, and after 1 gallon were fully broke in.

I will be trying the Sirio 30rs, Collari .32, and the Axial .32 in the near future, I will let you know how I liked those engines. If you guys are testing any engines I would like to hear your comments.

Thats a nice write up!

I have a Savage 25, and my motor might be shot, so I'm debating on rebuilding it for $50, or getting a new motor. Now either it is shot or normally slow, or impossible to tune.

My buddys 2.5R T Maxx seems to have twice as much power! But his lack of traction in snow would put me ahead for a little while :(

Last edited:
Sirio 30

Ran the Sirio 30 today. Best engine so far of all the engines I tested, great power through all ranges, great sound, like a Ferrari on a VW, this is not an engine for someone without a lot of experience, very powerful difficult to tune to achieve peak performance, engine likes to run lean, Savage runs great with this setup, I think this is as big as you want to go, all my gears survived, ran it hard, it was difficult to get it to idle low enough for it stop moving forward. I was only going to spend an hour playing with it, an hour turned into 3 hours, great engine. I really liked the Picco but this one is my new favorite. This engine isn't cheap $300.

Next engine is the Axial .32 and the Collari .32

Last edited:
interesting i deffinitly think my engine is shot...

What pipe(s) did you use for this comparison? The right pipe on some of these engines makes a world of difference.
You were trying to keep it simple though right? Same truck, same pipe and gearing?

I used the Cen Pipe on all engines, the stock one also, the Cen pipe did better but the stock one wasn't bad, same truck, came gearing.

Ran the Sportswerk .26 today, smooth engine, very easy to tune, easy to start, easy to break in, good speed at all ranges, not what I would consider a powerhouse but a nice engine, if you are looking for a smmoth engine this one is good, does not make the same great sound as Picco or Sirio. $169

Next engine is the Axial .32, and the 9 port Siro .27, still waiting on the Collari. The only problem I see with some of these upper end engines is if they go on you you might as well buy a new one, cost of sleeves and pistons is not cheap, you save a little but not much. I have a Sirio .27 that I am looking for a connecting rod, Piston and sleeve you are looking at $170 to fix it.

Yep the high end engines are not worth rebuilding just like the cheaper ones, but they can be repinched if you keep a close eye on the bearings and rod. That Sportwerks engine turns into a powerhouse around the 1 1/2 gallon mark. Geared right it will scream. My SW .26 was in a 10 1/2 pound Savage with maxx size tires. Clutch shoes and springs are a big factor as well. Just some notes for the newer guys to consider when engine shopping.
keep up the good work man.

Collari .32 and Sirio .27

Tested the Colllari .32 today: Low end was good, top end was insane, very easy to tune, for me it was a little to much power on my Savage, a very responsive engine.

Sirio .27: Low end and top end were great, a good match for the Savage, this engine was tough to break in, the factory settings were way to rich, I had to lean the engine out to get it to run. This is a perfect match for the Savage, great sound, you will like this engine on your Savage. This was a 9 port engine. If you do not have patience for breaking in an engine, buy a good one used.

I'd like to see how a LRP28S3 stacked up for you.

Why in the world are you running all these engines? That's a lot of dough for a bunch of engines you don't use.

What were the prices on the last 2 engines and is the Sirio 30 still the favored?

Costs

Collari .32 was $300 purchased a few years back, the Sirio was around $150 got a good deal on that retail is high around $350 the 9 port version. It does get a little costly to run all of these engines but I like testing them out. I have friends I sell them to when I am done. The Sirio's are my overall favorite, you feel like you have total control of the truck and you have to love the sound, all of the other engines are great but that was just my experience, the Sirio .27 was tough to break in though, just fouled a lot of plugs, was trying to run it on factory settings, but forget that idea, just lean it out a bit and you will be fine. Once thes go though you probably just have to buy a new one little tough to find parts for a rebuild. I have seen a few used ones on Ebay but it is a crapshoot if you get a good one.

Bump, this is a neat thread, I'm also still looking to buy an engine so figured I would see if people have any more info.

If your lookin for the easiest setup (tune, performance) I highly reccomend the LRP .28 S3. Loads of low end power and a decent high end, if you have your gearing right the thing can go very fast or provide instant power for endless wheelies. I just got the engine, I'm on my 12th tank, easiest engine I've eber owned. Just my 2c.
Goodluck,

Also you might want to look in to the Sirio .27, the above poster made it sound very nice. A comparison would be interesting!

Thx, my budget is around $150 so idk which engine just yet but I'm getting a nitro itch!!!!!!!

I'm running the Sirio .27 in a T Maxx 4908 and a Revo......Both trucks run very nice with these powerplants in them.Plenty of power on tap..It was like Sirio went out of its way to match a powerplant to the way my trucks should of actually been built and run from brand new.........As far as break-in I had nary a problem and tuning was way easier than my 3.3 traxxas engine.....I did my break-in on 20% with a medium glowplug...I actually set my lsn and hsn 1/4 turn richer and the Sirio idled through two tanks of fuel without stalling..The head was warm to the touch and the puddle of oil blowing out of the pipe was horrendously large I had to make a drip cup to keep the bench clean.........If your gonna buy an engine the Sirio .27 Tx 9 port is definately a nice engine for the money.Alot of ground ripping power along with the easiest wheelies I've ever pulled...Most of the time it wheelies so nice and when hitting 2nd gear it has me grinnin like a kid in a candy store..I got the T maxx kit for 155 shipped and the Revo kit for 175 shipped.I drilled out the exhaust exit port a little larger and they works fine for both trucks..Good Luck with your choice in engines

Last edited:
I can't find the Sirio .27 on Tower, was it discontinued?

i dont know much, but i would imagine that i could install that engine on my Savage also?

any updates on the Axial .32, is this a good engine?

I have the Axial .32 in my MGT 8.0.Theres alot of conflicting opinions in the engines reliability and ease of tuning.I find it to be a really easy to tune engine with the 3 needle carb,it starts up lickity split and can go through over 4 straight tankfuls of nitro without even overheating.The engine has alot of torque for my 13lb truck and with my gear ratio my truck is alot of fun to drive anywhere.....Soon its going on a diet with some RPM stuff which should make it a wicked beast....

x-15taillightassy268.gif

Back