Ten Eighty Ramp

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrClean

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So this doesn't apply to nitro or electric so I'm putting in here.
I was at my local sporting goods store looking for a portable ramp for my Revo. I come across the ten eighty skateboard ramp and it looks to be a pretty decent size. I'm looking at the width thinking sure, that'll be wide enough........LOL So I spend the $30 and leave happy as could be. I get it home and realize that even as wide as it appeared in the store, it's a real bitch to hit that thing with any kind of speed, I don't know how many times I ended up doing cartwheels from hitting it at an angle. Of course I was running in the grass, I think a solid surface will make it easier to hit it at speed.
http://www.ten-eighty.com/Product_Detail.aspx?Id=490

24" wide x 12" tall or 24" tall x 12" wide? I bet some vids of seeing you try to line up would have been funny stuff. I tried a skate ramp also out in the parking lot, trust me, it's no easier, LOL. I know your pain though, that thing can be twice the width of your rig and you always seem to hit off to one side or another.

The ramp is plenty wide enough, that's what most people are using. It's your driving that needs changing, not the ramp. I'm not trying to be harsh or anything, you're doing really good to have learned as much as you have in such a short period of time. If I were you, I would put the ramp in your driveway or somewhere smooth, and butt it up against the grass. That way you can take off on a nice hard surface and land on nice soft grass. You're probably trying to go way too fast, too soon. Slow it down a bit, to about low to mid speed, and practice hitting it over and over. It will be easiest if you're standing directly behind the ramp to line it up. After you hit it going slower, then just speed up a little and do the same until you're comfortable. No one will hit it perfect every time, but with a ramp 24 inches wide, you'll get to where you're hitting it right most of the time. Remember, you don't have to be going full throttle to get airborn, and you will do better if you start off slow.

i had one of those ramps, but i sold it to my nieghbors son. i had a really hard time lining up my 3.3 to that ramp. it might be cheaper to make one out of plywood and 2x4's. it cost me about $23 to make mine, and it folds. i think R/c CAR ACTION had plans for one on they're web site.

24" wide x 12" tall or 24" tall x 12" wide? I bet some vids of seeing you try to line up would have been funny stuff. I tried a skate ramp also out in the parking lot, trust me, it's no easier, LOL. I know your pain though, that thing can be twice the width of your rig and you always seem to hit off to one side or another.

It's 24" wide....... should be 4' considering my driving.....LOL

The ramp is plenty wide enough, that's what most people are using. It's your driving that needs changing, not the ramp. I'm not trying to be harsh or anything, you're doing really good to have learned as much as you have in such a short period of time. If I were you, I would put the ramp in your driveway or somewhere smooth, and butt it up against the grass. That way you can take off on a nice hard surface and land on nice soft grass. You're probably trying to go way too fast, too soon. Slow it down a bit, to about low to mid speed, and practice hitting it over and over. It will be easiest if you're standing directly behind the ramp to line it up. After you hit it going slower, then just speed up a little and do the same until you're comfortable. No one will hit it perfect every time, but with a ramp 24 inches wide, you'll get to where you're hitting it right most of the time. Remember, you don't have to be going full throttle to get airborn, and you will do better if you start off slow.

You hit on the head Charlie, it's a combo of driving and trying to set the ramp in grass. I wasn't trying to go too fast, actually was doing just what you said, low to mid speed, it's when I'd stand in a different place or try putting too much speed too soon. I started at a dead stop with the car about 20 feet from the ramp. I hit it pretty good a majority of the time, there were those few times though that the Revo looked like an Olympic gymnast.......cart wheelin through the yard.
There is a church not too far away with a newly paved parking lot, I'm gonna set it up right next to the grass and work on it.

Note to self...
No skateboard ramp until I can learn to drive between trees without hitting one.
Or....
Get a *really* wide ramp!!

Found a roll cage for about $30 online.. I think that's a good investment for those cartwheels.

And I vote for some video!!!! :D

What you should do, is buy two of them. Place them side by side at first and use the broad surface area to jump, then when you get really ballzy you can stack them on top of each other and do wicked backflips.

What you should do, is buy two of them. Place them side by side at first and use the broad surface area to jump, then when you get really ballzy you can stack them on top of each other and do wicked backflips.

exactly what i am doing !!

hangtime2.jpg

hangtime.jpg

you can barely see the ramps in the first pic.

Found a roll cage for about $30 online.. I think that's a good investment for those cartwheels.

And I vote for some video!!!! :D

I haven't been able to find a roll cage with a decent price yet for my Revo.
All I need is a camera man and I could have you guys laughing your asses off.

I was thinking about that last night, if one is good, two must be better.
Now why do you have to go and mention the back-flips, I'm gonna skip right past all the 'practice' crap and go right for the back-flips......LOL.

Wow Bobby, those are some cool pics, it almost looks like the buggy was photo-shopped into the picture with the way the light hits it and the blur lines coming off it. Those are sweet!

Last edited:
hell y not, thats what i did.

Wow Bobby, those are some cool pics, it almost looks like the buggy was photo-shopped into the picture with the way the light hits it and the blur lines coming off it. Those are sweet!

yeah, i was hoping for some CLEAR pics, but i guess the car was moving to fast for my wife to keep up with it !! lol

thanks though.

i have 2 and put them side by side. works pretty good. they are very hard to hit single.

That's the same ramp I used for my shed jumping experiment. Hard to hit at full throttle with all the bump steering from the grass. More than once I went 1/2 off the side and square into the wood! :hehe:

Attachments

• jump2.jpg
    jump2.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 106
If you do want to buy two of them, you might want to make some mods to the second one so when you stack them, they wont collapse on each other. They are designed to stack neatly out of the way, which is bad when you want to stack them two ramps high. Just put some strips of wood or metal on the bottome of one so it will stay up where you want it. When you need to store them out of the way, put the unmodified one out of the way.

In my slash videos where the guy does the HUGE backflip and catches his truck afterwards, he is using two of those exact ramps stacked. And he hit them at about 40 mph on a really rough parking lot while standing at a funny angle, that's the reason I said the ramps will work fine when you set them up and practice some more.

That's the same ramp I used for my shed jumping experiment. Hard to hit at full throttle with all the bump steering from the grass. More than once I went 1/2 off the side and square into the wood! :hehe:

DAYUM racer, now that's what I call a ramp!!

Do you have any video of this event! It would be pretty awesome to see the air that your rig got.

i took the two i have and stacked them onto another ramp i had. attemped a double backflip but ended up with a not so good landing.
here is a pic of a regular jump (for height) off them stacked.

DSC01787.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have any video of this event! It would be pretty awesome to see the air that your rig got.

Nope, no video. I've got some sequential stills somewhere. I swore I would do it again and get video but stuff happened and now I don't even live there anymore.
I Like jumping big stuff so sooner or later I'll get something on vedeo :D

Back