temp guns

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big jilm

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Wondering which ones you guys use.. I need to get one and want it to be reliable but don't want to drop 70 bucks either.

I've purchased about 10 baby thermometers in the past year and none off them work worth a crap so I'm a little gunshy with temp devices. I spent 80 bucks on a thermometer for my kid that said my temperature was always 100.5 no matter what.

Thanks guys...;)

Tempgun.com. Can't remember the name, but mine works good. Syncs up with my buddy's duratrax's. We haven't had any engines melt yet!

Hey bigjilm. I don't know if you have a Harbor Freight near you but they have a hand held temp gun that fits in the palm of your hand and it's under $20. I have been using one for a little over a month with no problems. I fyou look online at their website they also offer others.:)

I use the blue duratrax one. Had it for 5 years now and its great. No problems and has sum max and man settings as well as others.

That's the one my buddy has. It's pretty nice. I think I paid $25 for mine, shipped.

samrsnow, i agree, the PE-1 is an EXCELLENT temp gun, it's the one i have and the only one i use, i have used others, but for speed and ease of use, its the king of the ones i have had.

It is also the first temp gun i would recommend anyone to buy.

I mauled over the same question for several weeks. I just ordered the Pro-Exotics PE-1 last week. From the sound of things, I made the right choice. Cost me less than $30.00 (including shipping) from A-Main Hobbies.

I now have a venom onboard temp monitor on my rig(picked it up for free when I bought a junk engine), but before that I was using a meat thermometer (9.99). I did a comparison between the two to see if the meat temp was accurate and it was within 2F of the venom. A fellow that was using one of those expensive hand held jobbies also check my temp and all three were within 5F of each other.
I guess it all boils down to how fancy you want to be and how fast you want your temp. reading. The meat thermometer takes like 5 - 10 sec to get a good reading but I'm not tuning or checking for maximum performance, just making sure that I'm not cooking (lol) anything.

There are many temp guns available and many "on board" temp reading devices also. At the end of the day, it all boils (excuse the pun) down to personal choice. recommendations can be made, opinions cast., yet personal choice rides over everything that is said. I know what i use, as do others, we all would recommend what we use, however different they may be.

The point of a temp gun is not to be fancy, flash or anything else, it is an aid to help us nitro boys n girls ensure we keep our mills (engines) within a safe heat range and don't cook the engine. They do have many other uses outside RC, that i am sure we have all found for ourselves. Ground temp being one of them, temp of hot beverages for another (a good one for me as i would hate to burn my mouth on drinks that are too hot)

In short, go for what suits your needs and is within how much you want to spend. not much else can truly be said other than that.

There are many temp guns available and many "on board" temp reading devices also. At the end of the day, it all boils (excuse the pun) down to personal choice. recommendations can be made, opinions cast., yet personal choice rides over everything that is said. I know what i use, as do others, we all would recommend what we use, however different they may be.

The point of a temp gun is not to be fancy, flash or anything else, it is an aid to help us nitro boys n girls ensure we keep our mills (engines) within a safe heat range and don't cook the engine. They do have many other uses outside RC, that i am sure we have all found for ourselves. Ground temp being one of them, temp of hot beverages for another (a good one for me as i would hate to burn my mouth on drinks that are too hot)

In short, go for what suits your needs and is within how much you want to spend. not much else can truly be said other than that.

:goodpost: Right along with the other pun, "don't cook the engine".:hehe:

nice one taz :thumbup: i didnt spot that till after you quoted me and remarked about it.

I got one from autozone for $20, it works great.