Temp guns

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lessen

Super Awesome!
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
What kind of temp guns are you guys runnin? I used to have a Duratrax gun which never gave me problems. I gave that to my father in-law with the MMGT. To replace my gun I purchased an O'donnel piece. Well, that turned out to a a POS. It seemed nice at first but the quality was crap. I dropped it one time and now it's acting up. Not very durable. I'm pretty displeased with that. I'm not comfortable tuning by smoke and sound alone so I want to replace it. Losi has a 2 in 1 temp gun/flathead tuning screwdriver which would be great (one less thing to carry). What do you guys like?

I have been using the Radio Shack one for years with no problems at all. If you open it up actually has a Raytek pc board inside of it.

I bought the PE-1 by Pro Exotics. It's my first temp gun so I don't have much to compare it to, but I've been very pleased with it's performance so far. Dropped it a couple of times and it still works great. The PE-2 has a few more features for double the price ($45). I got the PE-1 off ebay for $20 and free shipping.

I had the Losi Temp/Tuner, and i loved it. All metal construction, a rubber stopper to measure in the same place every time, durable as hell, and its got a tuning screwdriver!!!

I bought the PE-1 by Pro Exotics. It's my first temp gun so I don't have much to compare it to, but I've been very pleased with it's performance so far. Dropped it a couple of times and it still works great. The PE-2 has a few more features for double the price ($45). I got the PE-1 off ebay for $20 and free shipping.

Same one here, works great no issues after 3 years.

I had the Losi Temp/Tuner, and i loved it. All metal construction, a rubber stopper to measure in the same place every time, durable as hell, and its got a tuning screwdriver!!!

You say "had". Where did it go?

Does it give you max temp or just the current reading? I really like the idea of having both tools in one piece.

Avoiding the O'Donnel is one bit of good advice I got from my LHS. They said EVERY one they sold came back for the same reasons you described.

BTW I have an OFNA I bought from Rob but I haven't used it yet :\

You say "had". Where did it go?

Does it give you max temp or just the current reading? I really like the idea of having both tools in one piece.

I "had" because i gave it to some kid at the track who was having troubles tuning his rig. I'm not running nitro anymore, so i didnt need it anymore.

I use the little duratraxx one it seems to work well.

I have been using the Radio Shack one for years with no problems at all. If you open it up actually has a Raytek pc board inside of it.

Yep, I've been using the same one for 8 years... and I'm not nice to it. Chuck it in the pit bag, drop it in the dirt, kick it when I'm running, drop it in the snow... it's had a hard life but has served me well.

I do know that mine reads about 5-10 degrees hotter than anyones I compared it to, which were the Odonnels, duratrax and an HPI one. Which is fine by me. Just means I tune a bit cooler/richer than I should.

Back