Temp Gun

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spikes32

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I just picked up a T-Maxx and am looking for recommendations for a good temp gun to assist with tuning this thing. I thought ,how hard can tubing a little 2 stroke be, I am now finding out its a little challenging :angry:

Read the nitro tuning guide in the engines section

transmited from a mobile communications device

It is challenging, but one thing to remember is that all well tuned nitro engines will act like they're running rich until they warm up to operating temperature, always start rich when you're in doubt.
Duratrax makes a nice temp gauge.

Thanks for the suggestions and input , hope the weather warms up a little bit so I can get going

i use one of those cheap chinese infrared thermometer ..they sell for under 10$ with free shipping ..I've had mine for a couple years now and it works good

You hope it warms up outside.....What's it like out there now? Cold weather tuning can be a bear.

Temp is about 33 degrees, so it's still probably too cold yet to run, but maybe just for a quick spin. One other thing is I picked up this truck "slightly used " and don't know If it was ever broken in or not, it literally has almost no wear on the skid plates or anywhere else, but is it worth it to do a break in procedure now or just proceed as normal and hop for the best. The Max is a 4909 model.

For a newbie, (like me) cold weather tuning is almost impossible. Just when I think I'm making progress I cook the glow plug or the temps on my temp gun are too high for my liking. I live in upstate New York and the weather outside for the past week hasn't been too bad. (Low 40's for highs).

Last edited:
Being a newb too, I have to say this thing is a blast, I am definitely hooked on nitro