Temp gun - How cheap can I go?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aeromotive

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey all,

I'm new to these forums and I'm finding a lot of information thanks to your help! I'm in the process of breaking-in my engine and I'm shopping the net for a temperature gun.

Now because I'm new to this and my model is entry-level RTR (Kyosho DBX 2.0), I'm not keen on spending big $$$ for a temperature gun. I looked on ebay and saw cheap ones for 13$CAD shipped...
Edit : for example this one

Could anyone advise me on those? What's the difference between the ones made "especially" for RC and the ones I find at my local renovation store?

Another question : in my manual it says that my engine needs only one gas tank to break-in, but my local hobby shop said they would do three, and on the different websites I see up to ten! Which one should I rely on?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
every one I have broken in has been 5 tanks. and I have done a few.. on your sixth tank it is safe to mess with tunning if needed which it will be, because you are seating the piston and sleeve with the breakin..

the temp gun thing I am not sure about a good one because I know need to find a new one because the 2 I have are so far off from each other I am not trusting no more!! but there will be someone else that will have a good idea on that.

i have a cheap chinese temp gun...not the same as in your link ..mine is a small red one ....paid around 12$ shipped ....works well ..and seems pretty accurate

Not to spam myself but I have an HPI temp gun that is really accurate that I am selling, shoot me a pm if your interested. As far as break in procedure I did Traxxas's 5 tank break in method, seemed to work alright IMO, 1 tank isnt enough at all IMO.

I would not go less than 6 tanks on a break in. As far as a temp gun go to harbor freight tools they have a temp gun that will work for you and wont break the bank.:D

Thanks for all your help guys! I'll wait 'til my 6th tank to tune the engine, and I'll buy a cheap temp gun :)

I really appreciate it!

For a temp gun do not get an infra-red style but it does need to be non-contact. If you do go the Harbor Freight route,check the temp range before buying. They sell some that the temp range is too low.

Thanks Racer. However the ones on ebay are cheaper, and with the item coming from the US to Canada, shipping rates don't seem that appealing. But thanks for the tip. :)

I bought this one off of amazon.com for 25 bucks and it seems to work just fine. http://www.amazon.com/PE1-TG1-Infra...1G5K/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1309694951&sr=8-9

They have them as cheap as 15-18 bucks though if you want to go cheaper.

---------- Post added at 7:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 7:12 AM ----------

For a temp gun do not get an infra-red style but it does need to be non-contact. If you do go the Harbor Freight route,check the temp range before buying. They sell some that the temp range is too low.

What would you recommend if not the infra red? I use an infrared and I havent had any trouble with it. At least not that I've been able to tell. I dont know alot about temp guns but the only two kinds I'm aware of are infrared and laser and the laser ones all seem to be in the 150-300 dollar range.

I used a laser style temp gun that I caught on sale at Harbor Freight for about $20 a few years ago. Never had any real problems with it.

I have one from Sears and like it. I don't think it's available anymore, but they must sell something similar now...

Back