Techno SCT 410.3 build

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know that I've read Tekno specifically recommending changing diff fluid after a short term and gears have a chance to break in, but it's not a bad idea. I normally open up the diffs and have a looksee at the fluid after the first 12 packs ran through the RC. Yeah, almost always the fluid is grey-ish looking. I'll change the fluid and then I'll be back to my normal 24 runs maintenance schedule (+/- as I see fit, or needed). Everything depends on the thickness of fluid, and driving style.

I don't know that I've read Tekno specifically recommending changing diff fluid after a short term and gears have a chance to break in, but it's not a bad idea. I normally open up the diffs and have a looksee at the fluid after the first 12 packs ran through the RC. Yeah, almost always the fluid is grey-ish looking. I'll change the fluid and then I'll be back to my normal 24 runs maintenance schedule (+/- as I see fit, or needed). Everything depends on the thickness of fluid, and driving style.
Thanks . I’ll follow that schedule.

You may have to adjust things on a maintenance routine as you go along and find fluids not as clean, or cleaner than you hoped for. My main concern is my RC's bearings, and shocks which get flushed/cleaned/rebuilt every 12 battery pack ran, because of the dusty (extreme?) track conditions.

It's a pain in the butt to do bearings, but in order to keep my yearly costs down for my RC fleet, it's a must. I also repack my bearings with grease for longer durability. Using a light 3-in-1 type oil in bearings for decades, but didn't cut it when it came to handfuls of dust being thrown onto them. If I was racing a spec class 2wd buggy/truck... sure, I'd be using/doing whatever speed improvements I could use/find (within the rules of course).
The suspension parts are directly taken from 1/8 scale bashers. The control arms are massive. The other components are totally over built. This is not the lightest build style but it is the strongest.
When I first thought about buying a race car. I was going to buy two kits. Just so I have extra parts. After doing research I found the SCT 410.3 is bullet proof. No one has anything to say bad about the build quality. I guess the idea is you have to finish the race to win.
The SCT410.3 is on my bucket list for the simple fact of it being based off of Tekno's EB48 lineup.

Last edited:
Got out for a practice today. Practice to long and got the motor temp a little high but it seems ok. I did a major adjustment to the brad brake and the adjustments for the brake. Track was super dusty and it was 90 deg .

Race two was a total success. I finished third place in the first two qualifiers and finished first in the B Main race. That got me to the A Main and that was my goal. Getting there is like winning to me. The big boys rocked and I was three laps behind the back but I got a personal best of 18 laps and a 22 second fast lap. And that was in rain. Just before the race it started raining so the track was a clay pit. My rig got so packed with muck I have to strip it down to clean it. Going to replace all the fluids any way.

Attachments

• B1C8E261-B3CD-4C1A-AF97-0780E8F2FC64.jpeg
    B1C8E261-B3CD-4C1A-AF97-0780E8F2FC64.jpeg
    432.7 KB · Views: 56
Wow the diff fluid needed changing. Looking at the data I was running motor hot on Saturday during practice. I went to long without a break and the motor got hot and the ESC was hot. I changed the gearing one tooth and went out for the time of the race. About eight minutes and it was down to 151 deg F.

Attachments

• 1C11AF88-BB74-42A6-B9B5-48156FA5BE3A.jpeg
    1C11AF88-BB74-42A6-B9B5-48156FA5BE3A.jpeg
    341.8 KB · Views: 43
  • 030165CB-8783-4336-BD8F-8468642489E0.jpeg
    030165CB-8783-4336-BD8F-8468642489E0.jpeg
    492.7 KB · Views: 42
I have really been pushing the SCT 410 around the track. I downloaded some data and that all looks good. My motor temps running in eight minute practice sessions stayed below 160 deg. So I can probably go up a tooth. Looking at a sample of throttle data I am getting a little bit consistent. At least at a 20 second lap time I can see a pattern. Not to sure how to use any of that. Mostly looking at temps and current but the other stuff is interesting.
I bought this truck in January of 2021 and bought the Gladiator tires just to have something to rip around the yard and I knew it would be sitting. I did not expect it to sit for two years but in that time I forgot about the tires. At the track I have no clue and the tires seemed fine. But now that I am getting a little faster I’m seeing that I can upgrade to Blockades. On a dusty track it was definitely loose.

Attachments

• 1EF01312-347D-4588-BAFC-1338F156FD1B.jpeg
    1EF01312-347D-4588-BAFC-1338F156FD1B.jpeg
    454 KB · Views: 46
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    270.4 KB · Views: 48
Did pretty good today with a huge field. I am still learning but I did get two third place qualifier finishes. And I got second by 1.1 second and did not make the A main. New Blockade tires are great. It I’m no used to a high traction situation and made a couple driving errors turning to sharp when I expected a slide. I’m sunburned wind and dirt blasted. Three classes and ten hours of racing is exhausting

I got the castle blue tooth device working so now I can easily adjust things at the track. Not that the lap top is difficult it’s just super dusty at the track. I have had the blue tooth link for a while .

The Teckno 410.3 is proving itself to be a real work horse. Practice a couple days a week and Saturday. Then a full day of racing every other week. So far the only problem I have found after three months of racing is one shock tower bolt need to be snuggled up. And that’s my fault.
Currently riding in the top ten in the points and just getting up to speed. I feel I need to bring it up a notch and start pushing harder in practice. Also changing to a 16 tooth from a 15 tooth pinion.
The motor and ESC temps are all super low so that should be a little faster.

Whatcha got in the syringes? I am just curious what people use in place of RC branded stuff. The blue stuff looks like what I use in my bearings... Maxima Waterproof grease.
The syringes have white Molly grease and molybdenum disulfide grease. The little black and tube has the same thing that can with the kit and the blue tube is lock tight.

Well it looks like the old body is doing so well. It’s only held together at the windshield and the rear just split across the mounting pins. I think I’ll get
A replacement and try to copy the paint scheme that m already using. I don’t want to get confused on the track.

It’s amazing how quick painting goes when you only spray one color and the body is pre cut and marked for body pins. Start to finish is like two hours. And new body looks so nice. I need to find the flat black sticker for the hood. But it’s ready to race.

358BA3EA-25C7-49A0-8B38-0C0AB9246F79.jpeg

I have been dealing with heat as the summer came into play. I am running a 4300kv pro 4 motor with a monsterX .
I’m probably going a Tekin ESC next year.
But I put a motor fan on from a crawler that looked ok but did not cool as well as I need.

With a 16 tooth pinion I went about eight to ten minutes and suddenly it was over heated. I changed to a fifteen and it seems fine. And if I only race five minutes in a qualifier and eight minutes in a main it’s fine. But if I start hot lapping in practice about fifteen minuets in the motor was at 180.
I installed a real fan with a heat sink to the motor and I changed to a thirteen tooth pinion and drove in 90 plus deg heat. I hot lapped for about half an hour. The data on this graph shows the temp after eight minutes simulating a main event. And even at That the motor temp is below sixty degrees.
I like the data showing blue is power output. The blue spikes are the front straight. The pink in the lower right is motor temp and the pink across the top is ESC temp. I had been running about twenty minutes before I started this round.
The flat part of the blue lines are when the new paint got messed up.

2D3176D7-BED9-4EE6-B3B3-D32EC627B13A.jpeg

05581368-9FA4-43A6-A981-B5843142395F.jpeg

This weeks race got rained out so I went through the suspension and checked all the bolts and fasteners. I am just past the half way point in the season and I don’t want to do much to this rig except I am experimenting with gears. It’s dialed in so perfect I don’t want to mess it up.
Watching this thing slide through a full speed turn spinning three wheels with the left front wheel pawing at the sky is so cool.

641D6174-EAC1-45E8-8640-7F0FAD4A5C15.jpeg

4300KV? Isn't that a bit high? Sounds like something that would be at home in a lighter and/or 2wd RC.

4300KV? Isn't that a bit high? Sounds like something that would be at home in a lighter and/or 2wd RC.
I am pretty happy with it. There are a couple 4600 motors.
What I have found is the 16 tooth pinion runs hard for about 10 minute and over heats. I put a big fan on the motor and it seems it is the ESC that is getting hot. With a 15 tooth pinion it’s awesome. Front straight speed is as fast as anyone out there.

Last edited:
I really have a soft spot for this short corse truck. It’s a beast but so controllable and dialed in. I like the way it lifts the inside front wheel in the turn.
This is a quick vid I got from Saturday practice.

yo.. nice post.
i have sct 410.3. it’s a beast and soo much fun racing it as a newbie.

The off-road racing season is over for this truck but it will be spending the winter getting a full spa treatment. It earned it. Six month of competition and it never blinked. No mechanical issues what so ever and using the kit setup sheet it has gotten faster as I have gotten more experience. The last race of the season and I placed better than ever and felt like the truck is still way better than my driving shows.
But before it gets to finally storage charge it’s battery I have one more thing to do.
It is a big asphalt oval that is having a fun day to go out and race anything you want. So I put on some radials lowered the suspension a bunch raised the body a little and set the front toe to about 1* in.
Should be a blast to see how fast this thing can go flat out with different gearing.

B32DB4C2-5AD1-4E54-BCCB-DEA1B2ACEFE8.jpeg

D1ABBCB3-6A3E-441E-813B-2EC24B3A4BBA.jpeg

591701A8-EBB7-4E23-ADD7-3CF7AE63B3DB.jpeg

Back