Team Associated VS Traxxas

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gibsontoad

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I am new to the rc world and am looking to purchase an electric truck but not sure where to begin. I think I want a 4X4 and was wondering which brand would be best to start looking at considering a lower end budget? thanks for your help

Well first you have to tell us what you will be doing. Bashing, or racing. Also you need to tell us if you want an off roader or an on roader. Also you need to tell us what scale you want it in 1/10, 1/8. Also do you want a brushed motor or a brushless motor.

so many things that i dont really know...
I think I would be doing a bit of both bashing and racing. Will be off an off road truck 1/10 scale. would like brushless motor but cost will come into play so not sure what the up side to one vs the other would be. I was thinking that I need to narrow down what brand first then start narrowing down my selection from there.

Well to make it easy, brushless motors are much faster than brushed motors. Team Associated is a recommended brand for racing as well as bashing. You should go to your local track and see what kind of vehicles are popular to race there. There are different classes of vehicles.

Short Course Truck
1/8 Buggy
1/10 Buggy
1/8 truggy
Stadium Truck
Monster Truck

See what your track races.

ok...mostly will be racing with co workers who have Traxxas slash and stampede...I like both but not sure which style is best for all conditions. Was also looking at the SC10 4x4. I had a RC10t as a kid so I'm kinda leaning in that direction (associated) but not sure cost vs value either.

Personally, since you a youngin starting out, I would reccomend Traxxas, plenty of available cheap parts, and I know a kid wants to bash with it, and the Slash can take it nicely. So my .02, Traxxas.

For racing short course trucks are better. The Slash and SC10 are both very good trucks. It's just that people recommend the Slash for bashing and the SC10 for racing. The Slash is much more durable.

Team associated, hpi, traxxas, and Losi are who I'd suggest looking at. Traxxas is the most common for local parts availability, this is important if you have a local hobby shop (LHS). Short course is the hot ticket right now with all the major players making one or more model. Brushless is great but you can always upgrade to this later on for 75-150 investment. Starting with a brushed will let you get your feat wet and learn to drive without breaking alot. 2 vs4 wheel drive is something to consider. 2 is cheaper and and less complicated with less to go wrong, but 4 handles better. Don't just jump into the hobby blindely but don't be too affraod of buying the wrong car. Do lots of reading here and other places. I myself am partial to Losi, I just like their stuff and find it works well for me. When you do buy your first rig, don't go crazy buying upgrades. Alot of upgrades are unwise (alloy a arms) and are pricey way of learning hard lessons. This is a great forum full of people willing to help, so don't be affraid to ask.

I'm more of an associated fan myself but if your budgeted and want to make sure there are all sorts of parts on hand than Traxxas is the way to go. I havent been to any lhs where they usually dont have at least 1 full wall dedicated to Traxxas parts.

I own trucks from both companies and like them both. I do prefer Traxxas for ease of finding parts.

thanks everyone...i think I'm going to to with the slash 4x4 platinum...any advice on buying used?

I would say the slash is real durable I have the 2wd myself and am thinking of the 4wd. and I havent ran the other ones but for me I dont know if I would because after the 4wd I was thinking of getting the nitro slayer 4x4.. short course is a bunch of fun but still have there limitations for bashing in certain areas, which is where the monstertruck (mt) comes into play which can go just about anywhere.. definetly take alook at there webpages and read about the rigs that catch your eye, ask about them on here and talk to your lhs about them and what they stalk like what is mentionede earlier... good luck!!

Back