Team associated Rival mt10 spur gear

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elarmany

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi guys , I'm just starting this hobby and wanted to build something from the ground up, after reading for a while I bought the mt10 roller from ebay and got the motor, ESC, servo etc.. that could run 4s , my understanding is that the spur gear is plastic and will not take the load , I couldn't find any metal spur gear on the internet , if anyone upgraded to a metal spur gear , would really appreciate the info, one guy said he used it from a redcat racing but didn't find any other information. Any other insight would be great cause I'm not an expert and thought you guys would definitely know more , thanks

Welcome to the forum/hobby. A plastic spur is fine. Not sure where you heard otherwise, but lots of kits have plastic spurs that do well. Metal is good too, but as long as you set the gear mesh correctly, you shouldn't have any problems. And spurs are cheap, so just grab a few extra just in case. Maybe someone knows a good source for a metal one, but if Tekno supplied it with a plastic spur, then you shouldn't be too worried, as Tekno makes really nice stuff.

Welcome to the forum/hobby. A plastic spur is fine. Not sure where you heard otherwise, but lots of kits have plastic spurs that do well. Metal is good too, but as long as you set the gear mesh correctly, you shouldn't have any problems. And spurs are cheap, so just grab a few extra just in case. Maybe someone knows a good source for a metal one, but if Tekno supplied it with a plastic spur, then you shouldn't be too worried, as Tekno makes really nice stuff.
Thank you so much for your help and prompt answer , I just thought that since the original was 3s, so 4s would need a stronger spur gear but seems I was wrong, I will just stock some spur gears as you said in case something happens , thanks again

Wait, sorry, off subject, but does Tekno own Associated, or are they both owned by the same parent company? I did a quick search and didn't find any info on this.
Hi guys , I'm just starting this hobby and wanted to build something from the ground up, after reading for a while I bought the mt10 roller from ebay and got the motor, ESC, servo etc.. that could run 4s , my understanding is that the spur gear is plastic and will not take the load , I couldn't find any metal spur gear on the internet , if anyone upgraded to a metal spur gear , would really appreciate the info, one guy said he used it from a redcat racing but didn't find any other information. Any other insight would be great cause I'm not an expert and thought you guys would definitely know more , thanks
You probably don't need a metal spur, are there any video/writeups where people did what you're gonna do? I'd say see if they mention stripping spurs. Most RCs have plastic spurs, and they can be pretty strong. As long as you aren't really harsh on the throttle with your ESC's punch/start set high and have a very tourquey motor, you should be fine. Oh, and make sure the gear mesh between the pinon and spur is good, if it's loose than you're gonna strip any spur, plastic or metal. If that rig has a slipper clutch built in, then that'll help save your drivetrain a bit too (or if it doesn't have one, get one as an upgrade if possible). Having an extra spur/pinion or two wouldn't hurt either if you wanna be safe.

Last edited:
Wait, sorry, off subject, but does Tekno own Associated, or are they both owned by the same parent company? I did a quick search and didn't find any info on this.
No lol. For some reason I thought I read MT410 😜

Change both the Tekno references to Associated, and my statement still applies though 🤣

Back to regular programming 👍

Plastic spur will be fine. I've got kits that run on 6S and 8S and they have plastic spurs. You really shouldnt ever use a metal spur anyway.

Welcome to RCT bud. Just make sure you got a big enough esc motor for your build they are designed around the over all weight and 2wd or 4wd. Then the batteries/ lipos come in to play. The spur gears are plastic for a reason. You want that to fail or strip out. And not you tranns or drive line.. just make sure your gear pinon and spur mesh are set rite. You will be fine.👍👍 I also run plastic spurs on some of my RC's . It's the way most of them come

Thank you all so much, this was really helpful , I will start with this thing and hope it works , I ordered a 3670 , 2150 kv motor , 14t pinion , a 120A ESC , 25kg servo and a 4s lipo, the rest is the stock chassis , will do my best to put these together and will probably ask for your help when I start 😊, thanks again 🙏

Thank you all so much, this was really helpful , I will start with this thing and hope it works , I ordered a 3670 , 2150 kv motor , 14t pinion , a 120A ESC , 25kg servo and a 4s lipo, the rest is the stock chassis , will do my best to put these together and will probably ask for your help when I start 😊, thanks again 🙏
You will have no problem getting all swaped out and back together. We are all here if you got any more questions. Good luck bud 👍👍

Nice! That sounds like a solid combo, keep us updated!

Back