Team Associated RC18T Problems

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris91

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Okay so my son has had this for a while now. Only played with it a grand total of 7-8 times. The last time we had it out it lost Reverse, then it lost High Speed, then it barely wants to move at all now. Steering is perfectly fine. Fully charged Battery in Truck and Remote. Truck was never driven through water or even wet grass. Not been beat up or ramped or anything like that either. Would this be the Speed Controller? Here is a video of exactly what it is doing, or not doing if you want to be exact. lol

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtZKWWmJhpg"]YouTube - ‪Team Associated RC18T Problems‬‏[/ame]

Last edited:
loosen the screws to the motor and slide the motor back so the gear do not touch and see if the motor works if not try another motor

It sound ore like an ESC problem. If you're not looking for a lot of speed, go ahead and replace the ESC. I've had good luck with the Novack Spy on the Associated RC-18 series. The other path is to upgrade to brushless and for that I would recommend the Castle Creations Sidewinder ESC and a 6800 kV motor.

I really think its fast enough for him at the moment. He hasnt really been able to play with it for a while so he is going to need a refresher before I make it any faster for him. lol I was thinking it was the ESC myself but I dont have much experience with the electric cars. Hamz is that a cheaper route or a upgraded esc over the stock one? MR4x4king wouldnt it still not work if the ESC is bad? I dont have a spare motor layin around and dont want to throw money away on parts. Need all that spare money for my Nitro cars. lol

EDIT- Hamz I looked that up. Its the upgrade for the car. Not really wanting to throw a bunch of money into it because once he really gets used to this car I have a Nitro for him. Would rather find a cheap unit to get by for now.

Last edited:
Try the Novack Spy ESC, then. It's a stock replacement that's a little better quality than the Associated ESC IMO.

Not really wanting to spend $50 on this thing. Guess Ill keep my eyes open for something on ebay.

If you're interested I have a Spy and a few motors I would be willing to part with for the same price. I know you're not looking for new or hotter motors but I have no use for the brushed motors if I were to get rid of the brushed ESC. Super nice condition. Everything has Deans plugs installed so you can swap out motors easily if you chose too. Motors are Orion Stock , Trinity Mass Termination and Trinity Monster Termination. If interested I can snap as-is pictures from my phone real quick.

I appreciate the offer but I'm not wanting to spend that on this car. Just not even remotely interested in modding this at all. If I can't find a ESC for under 25 then itll just sit in its box for who knows how long.

Not sure what motor you have in it, but check your brushes if it is a open end bell style, hung up, or worn out brushes could cause some of the same problems.

So would any Brush Style ESC work or is there a certain one I'm looking for? Sorry, I'm definitely a noob when it comes to Electric cars.

The motor in it is a "370 high performance motor" quoted directed from Team Associated's website. lol

Yes, pretty much any brushed esc will work. The only issue you have is space. You can pick up fairly inexpensive brushed ESC's for like $30 or so new (like a Dynamite) but there's really not a whole lot of space for it under the hoot of the 18T. Essentially you pay more for equivilent technology in a smaller package.

Gotcha! Well I thank you for the help here. Now on to my search for a small ESC. Ill be driving sellers nuts asking for dimensions. haha

Hmm well a quick email to Team Associated and they are having me send in the ESC to repair at no cost. Figured it wouldnt hurt to ask what could be done and I was right!! I mean the car isnt THAT old to begin with so I figured there would be SOME kind of warranty on it. Their customer service is definitely top notch!

Got the new ESC yesterday. Works good now but seems to be a good bit slower than it used to be. Thinking its needing a new battery or motor.

I was going to tell you I thought the battery was bad.

Back