Team associated mgt 8.0

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluetickduke

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I am purchasing a tmaxx 3.3 and a team associated mgt 8.0 this weekend for 500$. I have a history with traxxas so I know what I'm getting into on that front, but what about the mgt? I don't know anything about the cars cause I've never owned one from team associated.

Were they decent vehicles? Any thoughts?

Thanks guys!!

I am purchasing a tmaxx 3.3 and a team associated mgt 8.0 this weekend for 500$. I have a history with traxxas so I know what I'm getting into on that front, but what about the mgt? I don't know anything about the cars cause I've never owned one from team associated.

Were they decent vehicles? Any thoughts?

Thanks guys!!

I have experience with the 8.0 engine ,not the truck ,the engine is another contoversal engine ,thats why I dont have them
no more as I went through 2 new ones ,they both popped!

The truck is nearly bullet proof ,but parts are starting to get scarce on them ,however they do share parts with Thunder tiger
an also ,they share some parts with the electric versions like axles & a-arms!

Now with that said ,dont get discouraged ,some folks did have very good luck with the 8.0 .it is a fuel hog .that explains
the 220cc fuel tank on my truck!
Also ,the person that you are getting it from ,may have a perfect tune on it an yes ,the power of it is extreme!.....:cool:

The mgt runs great they said, but the tmaxx needs tuned to stay running. Those are easy I'm not too worried about it. My savage xl is a fuel hog too I understand ? they actually put two gas tanks in the mgt for that reason I assume ??

I think imma give it a go, thanks guys! ??

The mgt runs great they said, but the tmaxx needs tuned to stay running. Those are easy I'm not too worried about it. My savage xl is a fuel hog too I understand ? they actually put two gas tanks in the mgt for that reason I assume ??

I think imma give it a go, thanks guys! ??

They came out with 3 versions like the HPI Savage did ,1 st gen was a 21 ,I think the 21 may have been a little under powered ,
however ,I did have a 21 on my truck at one time as a temp engine as I was waiting for my 5.9 to come in the mail ,the 21
did scoot the truck pretty good!

The 4.6 version is what my truck is ,it is the 2 gen version ,I bought it new in 2004 I beleive ,I wore the 28 engine out!

The 8.0 is the 3 rd gen ,it is a monster an has extreme power an wheelies on demand!....:cool:

Yes! They said the mgt runs pretty good so that's one less thing I immediately have to worry about.

Now if I could only get my savage running like it's supposed to ???

MGTs are great trucks, very durable, really reliable.
the 8.0 incorporated some upgrades compared to the 4.6 variant, like the steel spur gear assembly, bit stronger of a transmission, pin retaining clips in the CV shafts, bigger hex wheels.
the MGT is almost a more well designed T-Maxx, but with a big block, more room, better engine to transmission layout. (chassis flex is pretty much no longer existent with the MGT). stronger diffs, stronger bulkhead design etc.
i started with a t-maxx then when i got a MGT, got rid of the T-Maxx as the MGT was more reliable, and rarely broke.
the one upgrade i really recommend to the MGT trucks is a Forward Only Conversion. they used the same style of F/R assembly so there is about 180* rotation before it engages drive which can really jar the drivetrain.

I hate having no reverse lol

My savage has no reverse and it drives me absolutely crazy

Looking at the bigger picture, I'm feeling pretty good about picking these up on Saturday now!

Thanks everyone!

I hate having no reverse lol

My savage has no reverse and it drives me absolutely crazy

The reverse is hard on the transmissions in these trucks ,also it adds a lot of weight ,the weak point in these trans
is the O-way bearing inside the trans ,so you would need that slipper set right on what ever terrain you drive on ,
the street being the hardest on it with on & off throttle!

Yeah I have no idea how to adjust anything like that. I raced electric for over a decade but nitro is all new to me lol

Yeah I have no idea how to adjust anything like that. I raced electric for over a decade but nitro is all new to me lol

That is usually tighten all the way down ,an then backed off about a 1/4 turn ,but that is what most folks may run ,but
it could change slightly on what folks prefer!

I adjust acording to the terrain ,from street to dirt ,street is high bite with high grip tires ,something will snap
if the slipper is not backed off enough!

Hmmm interesting!

Thank you ?

Hmmm interesting!

Thank you ?

Believe me ,you would rather have an engine problem then have to deal with finding & purchasing & replacing
that O-way bearing in the transmission ,an if you can find that bearing ,you are looking at $20 to $ 40 bucks
to replace it ,so you are gonna want to treat the transmission with respect!....:cool:

I gotta learn more about this stuff or imma be throwing alot of $ down the drain lol

Oh mannnnnn I'm so ready to have my vehicles running again! I blew out the plug on my savage and I'm 3 hours almost from ANY hobby shop. (I live in the country)

Oh mannnnnn I'm so ready to have my vehicles running again! I blew out the plug on my savage and I'm 3 hours almost from ANY hobby shop. (I live in the country)

Believe or not ,I can't remember the last time that I bought a plug ,probably 10 years!....LOL

Plugs usually will go out faster if the engine is too lean or over heated ,it will burn them to a crisp ,an also ,if the
engine is ran constantly too rich ,that will foul the plug ,that usually happens when folks are breaking in an engine
or keeps running the engine at a very rich setting ,running an engine too rich can also destroy the plug because
of the high compression of the engine & large volume of fuel will distort & stress the tiny filiment inside the plug!

I always try to run my engine a little on the rich side in case a malfunction accurs .the most famous malfunction is ,
when a exhaust coupler come loose from the header to the pipe ,or the pipe comes off ,that alone will destroy
an burn an engine up if you keep running it like that ,I know ,that is what burned up one of my 8.0 engines ,
thats why I always stress to folks to always make sure that that little tiny pressure tube is connected to the
fuel tank an not restricted ,an the tank holds its pressure!....LOL

I honestly have no idea what's going on with my savage. I'm sure it's leaking air but I am absolutely terrified to take out the motor cause I'm 99% sure I won't get it back together successfully :(

I honestly have no idea what's going on with my savage. I'm sure it's leaking air but I am absolutely terrified to take out the motor cause I'm 99% sure I won't get it back together successfully :(

When ever you take anything apart on RC's ,it is best if you take pics of before & after ,that helps big time ,when I
rebuilt my Baja ,it helped me in some areas as I never had one apart before!

Also ,when ever you make changes to any settings ,like carb settings ,always keep record of where the were an how
many turns you made ,always write them down!

I am quite sure that your engine has needle o-ring leakage like mine ,that is the main problems that happens to
the 5.9 engine!

You can not properly tune any engine with an air leak or no tank pressure!...:cool:

I can't get the HSN out of the plastic sleeve so I can't get to the oring up there. Ugh. I need to get to a hobby shop sooo bad

I can get the needle out but this is as far as I can get it apart

Attachments

• IMG_20200502_085632476.jpg
    IMG_20200502_085632476.jpg
    550.3 KB · Views: 118
Back