Team Associated Mgt 8.0 Reveiw

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildwilly420

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey fellow Rc'ers.I noticed there is not to much info,or following of the MGT 8.0.As I believe this truck does not get the attention it deserves.Thus,the reasoning for this tread.The Mgt 8.0 in my opinion,was and still is my favorite ever 1/8 scale nitro truck.This is my second mgt 8.0.The first lasted me three years.Before the engine blew,after 6 gallons of 30%.Still the truck was in good shape.I beat the hell out of that truck,and when I say beat,I mean beat.Out of the box,it is great basher.with a little TLC and tweeking,it turns into a beast.First and foremost,the engine is a heli engine.It is not a screamer.But the way I see it,Who needs a 40,000 rpm engine in a heavy monster truck? It is all about torque,which the 8.0 engine has plenty of.First get the 8.0 modded.Crazy diff,tons of torque,better run times,lower temps.Then seal the carb,back plate if it is an issue.Get a better tuned sidepipe.Upgrade the wheels and tires.Upgrade the steering servo.As for the shocks,totaly up to the individual.Myself,I have no problems with them.The transmission is tough,even with reverse left installed.Front and rear diffs are bulletproof,from my experience.All in all the Mgt 8.0 is a great truck,and deserves a second look.

Attachments

• DSC_0063.jpg
    DSC_0063.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 278
Last edited:
I definitely think its a good truck but my preferences are the LST2/XXL and Savy trucks. I have a friend who has an MGT and he has beat the living snot out of it and done quite a few upgrades and its a good truck. I would not blame anyone for buying one. I did own a mini MGT once and it was a pretty good truck too but I didnt need a 4th MT and I prefer the bigger ones anyway so i sold it.

I have never owned a Savage.Just picked up my first Team Losi,an used 8ight.Have New Picco.28 that will get modded.My plan is to use in the 8ight.But I have been looking at Savy"s here lately also.So who knows.I would also like to get an onroad speedster to add to my stable,since I live at a very long culdesac.UPDATE...The used losi 8ight never showed....so Feebay issued full refund....So I bought and pieced together a brand new Losi 8ight 2.0..

Last edited:
The MGT is a great truck and IMHO because it does not have the marketing support like Traxxas and HPI, the sales are not there along with its popularity. Its also a very heavy truck due to it's chassis design which makes it unpopular. Add an engine that is full of torque not speed and a bad rap for air leaks which make it even more unpopular. Out of the box it's a decent rig but that exhaust is a huge pile of POS. I tried adding a fuel nipple to it but it did not help. I went with the savage xl tuned pipe and it's like night and day! The truck is also very easy to work on. I have not pulled the diffs yet but I've had the tranny out a few times(would not shift into second and thought it was the tranny), and it was pretty much straight forward. Mine is completely stock except the pipe and I've been very pleased with it. I've also sealed the engine and the carb to prevent air leaks.

Back