Tamiya standard to EL-6p connector

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

netmatt

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
OK, so the batteries for my RC are no longer available with the same connector, so I am going to get the new ones...but I need to change them so they connect. I need to go from Tamiya standard 2 pin to EL-6p connector

Do I just jumper the 3 red ones together and same for the black ones on the 6pin battery? Is it that easy?

battery.jpg

No what you have in that con 6 is basically a 4.1 or 4.2 volt battery it doesn't add up to a 3 cell. that would take a series connection and what you will get is a parallel conection.4.2 with 4.2 with 4.2 is only 4.2 might be more watts but not the 4.2 + 4.2 + 4.2= 12.6.. and the 9.6 is resting voltage or the voltage that it needs to be recharged at..

OK, yea I see the parallel is the wrong config. I just opened the packing around the dead battery, and its three 3.2v in series. (attached)

So the battery above (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016G8RU6Q/) is a 9.6v and has three cells as well, I thought based on the description and picture. Seems like I could wire red->black and red->black and then use the end red and black (similar to the attached)

How does the 4.1 or 4.2v you mention come into play here? I am missing it?

battery2.jpg

A fully charged li-ion cell is either 4.1 volt but newer li-ions are 4.2 ..https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/93892/maximum-charging-voltage-for-li-ion-battery

it would be way easier to pull that shrink wrap off and add a balance wire and then at +/- lines then a Deans plug ..then wrap end to end might even glue cells together you will also have to add battery terminals to get 12.4 volts.. all in all this will take some work.. use a piece of wood or a pot holder I like the silicon 1s

OK, so if I understand it right, the balance wire (learned something new) is for balance charging the LiPO/LiON battery and then the end with a deans connector for the RC.

Also, the 1st gen S911 RC I have has the older connector (image below with the other original battery pack), so I would also need something like the adapter below for the car side as well, I suppose?

Last question, the original pack says 9.6v (see image below), with three 3.2V cells. Will a 12.4v battery work for the car, when it was originally a 9.6v?

car2.jpg Tamiya_to_deans.jpg

OK. Here is how it goes the main terminal the deans is what charges the battery cell... the balance plug is used to either put extra mah in the cell or remove(most common) some chargers do charge only thru the balance plugs I have a few in my collection of chargers.. and a 3 cell of any lipo or lion that will fit in battery compartment will work. Id stay under 30c....that plug in pic was a deans to Tamiya...I dont like Tamiya. I forget what max amps are but I always changed them to deans I went thru many of the modern connectors . when I finally came across the XT 90 my fav...almost all my gear has those connectors now..a few have a 200 amp style of a XT plug..I've never used the bullets that some use ..To me Anderson power poles are the worst. to many fails in the month I used them ..

OK thanks! While I was looking around for a second RC to compete, while I fixed this, I found this: https://www.amazon.com/Rechargeable-Battery-Universal-Accessory-Supplies/dp/B01E6U1I50

A bunch of reviews of that one I have with the new adapter also were incredulous about the LiON being 9.6v and three 3.2 cells. All said similar to you that it is very odd, most are 4.1/2 cells.

Its the new one with an adapter for the Tamiya. Looks like they just wired the adapter in series to work.

I never seen a 4 1/2 cell pack... seen a 4 cell pack... anyway... good luck ..

Sorry, not 4.1/2...I was saying 4.1 or 4.2....I just used a slash because I am lazy, lol! :p

Thanks for your help!

Back