Tamiya re-releasing the Wrangler? New pic from Tamiya's website! page 2

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NCNitro

Fist of Goodness
In Memoriam
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I have been hearing rumors that Tamiya is going to re-release the Wrangler. I have been wanting one of these forever, but since they were discontinued back in 94 the prices have skyrocketed. However lately I have been reading that Tamiya is going to re-re them, and I have been seeing the originals, in more numbers than usual, and cheaper than usual on the bay lately. Guess the guys that have been sitting on them are trying to get them sold before it happens. I only hope they keep it with a hardbody rather than lexan, but either way I WILL get one, and if they are lexan, ALL my rigs will be sporting a Wrangler lid. I did not want to say anything, or start any unfounded rumors without some type of proof before saying anything at all. Looks like now I actually may be able to get my hopes up of finally owning a Tamiya Wrangler!

http://translate.google.nl/translat...obbyshow/index.htm&sl=ja&tl=en&hl=nl&ie=UTF-8

Although is says tentative, I am still keeping my fingers crossed :D

whats tentative mean? it would be awesome to see it come back out, i have been seeing them around alot lately as well.

That would make me all to happy !!!!!

Man I'm so glad that I heard this, I almost gave $350 for one on ebay a few weeks ago. I just learned about them a while back and have been soing a lot of research on them, was going to make it one of my first collector's.

I'll be getting a wrangle for sure if it's like the old one. If its like the Land Cruiser I'll probably pass on it. Ah, I see it's based on the CR-01 after reading the thing again, well hopefully it will be more scale than the landcruiser. The old one was based on a CC-01 chassis wasn't it? I haven't looked at it in a few weeks I'll have to check again. Man I can't describe how much I hope it's really scale.

Last edited:
I am just really hoping it's a hardbody! The rest I can work with, lol.

I am thinking word of this has been getting around the past few weeks, prices have been dropping on them, and more of them have been showing up.

Do you think you might use a hardbody on the tuber, or change the other scaler plans from the clod body?

Funny you should ask. I have been toying with the idea of replicating the HPI Jeep Rubicon body out of styrene, making my own hard body for the tuber, since the tuber was built around that lid. But if I can get my hands on a YJ hardbody the Chevy clod body will be put aside fo sho!

I am thinking it's a hard body.

Last edited:
NC, has there ever been a buildoff here on RCNT? Like a bunch of guys with the same trucks and a certain time period to build them?

I wouldn't stand a chance, but it would be awesome to have a buildoff on here with NC, Brandon (Nluvwith...), Chip, and me and whoever else wanted to join in. We could establish some perimeter rules to start out and take it from there, and have it be a kinda long term buildoff, so we could keep it fun but not stretch it out too far.

I certainly hope so! No doubt I will buy a complete kit, AND a few bodies if and when they become available. The kit will be built to look exactly like my 1:1 89 YJ.

I saw a spy shot on RCC, it looks like the CC-01 body on a CR-01. I sure as heck hope it is a hard body.

NC, has there ever been a buildoff here on RCNT? Like a bunch of guys with the same trucks and a certain time period to build them?

I wouldn't stand a chance, but it would be awesome to have a buildoff on here with NC, Brandon (Nluvwith...), Chip, and me and whoever else wanted to join in. We could establish some perimeter rules to start out and take it from there, and have it be a kinda long term buildoff, so we could keep it fun but not stretch it out too far.

Charlie, actually, no, there has never been a buildoff here. That would be a cool idea, but I take waaaaay too long to finish a rig. Due in part to time availability, and the ever increasing issue of play money, lol. :hehe:

Chip, I saw that spy shot too on Scale 4x4, if it is the same one, I don't know since I don't visit RCC. I am more interested in the body than the chassis, what it sits on I can always fix to what I want it to be, but the old Wrangler YJ body looks perfect, exactly like a real YJ. I will have to have a minimum of 2 no matter what, I will need to make a soft top for one while leaving the other a hardtop.

I just want the body, the CR-01 chassis and axles a useless to me.

I agree, but unfortunitely it will probably be quite a while before the bodies would be available seperately from the kit. I have noticed the guys that had the original bodies on epay have all pulled them, guess they won't be getting $300 just for a Jeep body when it is re-released.

I agree, but unfortunitely it will probably be quite a while before the bodies would be available seperately from the kit. I have noticed the guys that had the original bodies on epay have all pulled them, guess they won't be getting $300 just for a Jeep body when it is re-released.

Same thing happen with the re-pop hilux which is sweet. :hehe::hehe: all the big T did is change the casting date.

I'm just wanting the body as well, I looked at the picture from the Tamiya store in Japan, and I don't think the CR-01 jeep looks good at all. The chassis throws it way off. I might pick up a CC-01 chassis to put it on, or just build a scaler with the hard body.

I have a blue print of a Wrangler chassis that I will have to take over to Joe at EEM and see if he can make me an exact replica of an actual real wrangler chassis in the propper scale to fit that body. Like I said, I want to build an exact replica of my YJ.

Now we're talking. Maybe some guy will buy the Tamiya Wrangler and want to put a monster truck body on it, and list the body for sale for $30 at the exact same time that you check the for sale section.

I bought a PERFECT condition Clod Body, stock with Chevy Grill and Tailgate for pocket change the other day. I just got lucky, I know the guy got tons of PM's after I bought it. The grill and tailgate usually sell for more than I gave for the body, and the body is so nice that I was thinking about restoring it to factory box art condition and buying a clod kit to put under it lol, just because the body is so dam perfect.

That's cool, a box art original clod with the chevy badges would be real nice. I bet a set of original decals will cost as much if not more than the body.

Looks like the original hardbody! Yeah buddy!!!! I am not too crazy though the way is is set up on the CR-01 chassis, but hey, I am really only interested in the body anyway.

58429.gif

No doubt about it, I WILL be getting one of these!