Tamiya Brusier clone for $300

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodiE

Kind of good admin
Administrator
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
tamiya-brusier-clone.jpg

Looks like a company in China is offering what looks to be an exact clone of the very popular (and pricey) Tamiya Brusier.

The knock offs are already selling on eBay for less than $300: https://www.ebay.com/itm/222983031561 and parts are said to be compatible with the Tamiya counterpart.

I've always wanted a Brusier/Mountaineer but never could justify the price. Heck new kits still sell for over $1,000. Then again I'm not all that crazy about clones either.

What are your thoughts, would you buy one?

300 USD for a knockoff? No way. I'd rather save money to buy the real thing. The quality of the replica is questionable.

300 USD for a knockoff? No way. I'd rather save money to buy the real thing. The quality of the replica is questionable.
Have you seen one or know someone that has bought one?

From the comments I've read so far is that this clone is a near 100% replica of the Tamiya brand. Like almost to the point that they used the same molds.

I was able to find a review on the clone model that was just uploaded:

So far, all of my friends who are into RC's are into original models. I just have an issue with made in China replicas, most have inferior quality.

That is pretty impressive. Is that chassis the same or identical to the Big Bear?

So did anyone buy one of these that can offer feedback ,the u-tube feedback seems mostly positive . I ordered one in kit form to kit bash for a scale project that needs leaf springs .. for the $200 it costs I figured it would give me quite a good start on my scratch build . .

I've seen reviews on this one before and I have to admit, I'm intrigued.

Mine should be here in a few days , I'll post my findings .. mostly want it for the frame, transmission and axles , from what I understand I will need to modify the axles and machine up some 12mm hubs and reduce the width of the rear axle , but at least it will give me something to work with ..

Well I never actually built the kit as it was intended but I would have to say the components alone are worth the money for me . The shocks are usable but will require seals to hold oil ? , the drive shafts are quite usable also but a little crude for my liking . the body is wonderful and will likely be used as a replacement for my trailfinder some day ,even has a interior . the frame, axles and transmission are a great platform for many builds looking for a leaf spring setup..the tires are very hard and have no foam and are glued onto plastic rims with that goofy tamiya bolt pattern .IMO they will need to be swapped out to 12mm on pretty much any build . the overall quality of construction seems quite good and the manuals are very good and clear with good pictures LOL . I would recommend upgraded bearings as the stock ones have been known to fail . the biggest plus for this kit is it's been around forever and you will be able to find parts likely forever .

As a kid I also lusted over the Bruiser. I just seen the re release and went to buy it for 580.00 until the shipping added another 180.00. I would love a original Bruiser, or a re release, but these look really good and are alot cheaper. Are they essentially the same as the re release?

Old thread, but I will add to this. I bought the HG P407 Bruiser clone when they first came out. I don't own a Bruiser, but I have seen them. As far as I can tell someone snuck into Tamiya and ripped off their designs.

There are some differences, like the axle internals having flats instead of splines on the axle ends. So to fit RC4WD axles you have to file flats on them to get them to fit.

The body is decent, but there are issues with mine that you sometimes see on these Toyota trucks, and this is even apparent in the WPL C24 1/16 scale models where the bottom rear of the bedside is curled in from being released from the mold too soon. Not a real biggie, but to the keen eyed observer, it is noticeable.

As far as the rest of the drivetrain, I am pretty sure the tranny is different. But mine drives great, shifts flawlessly, and is a lot of fun to drive. You definitely need to get rid of the ridiculous steering servo setup and mount it up front though. Even on the Tamiya, I hear it's a very flimsy setup.

One thing with these P407 trucks though is the leaf springs are crap. If you drive it a little rough they eventually break from flexing back and forth. So some RC4WD upgrades would be best.

All in all, for the money (when I bought mine for $265), they are decent trucks for anyone that has ever drooled over the Bruiser, but just couldn't afford it. I will say this - it was always way overpriced in my opinion. But, since the release of the P407, Tamiya has dropped the price of the Bruiser, and HG has slowly raised the price of the P407. So at this point, I think I would just go for the real deal.

HG P407 bruiser Clone is a very capable truck when modded.
Body Lowered
Tamiya Driver Figure
Ampro Steering Relocation Mount
RC4WD 1.9 Wagon Wheels w/ peepee Cepek Tires
RC4WD Steering Rods
55t Motor
14t .6 Mod Pinion

Highly modified Transmission
Hot racing Tamiya Bruiser 4x4 Steel 70t/19t Steel Spur Gear
I Rearranged Low and medium Gear Sets (Servo centered 1st LOW, upshift to 3rd HIGH) I did this so I wouldn't have to use the servo to keep it in the lowest gear, as I crawl.
Converted To All Gear, 4-Wheel-Drive (Robinson Racing 8622 Gear)
“Converted to a 2-Speed (Low 4wd and High 4wd Only)

Hardened Steel Drive Shaft for the rear, RC4WD Punisher front plastic
RC4WD Yota II Axels, Diffs flipped
RC4WD Springs
Alloy Shock mounts
Front Shocks Relocated to rear side of axel
Rear Shocks Relocated inboard of the frame
Spektrum STX-3
Traxxas XL-5 Speed Control
Reedy 25kg Steering Servo
Traxxas 2056 Standard Shift Servo
Alloy Servo Arms
5000 Mah 7-Cell