T-maxx Wide and extended

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wildstringer

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I've seen the word "wide " used for T-maxx' and i can see the difference in the A-arms. the holes in the upper arms are either round or oval. I've also seen extended chasis. I have seen the lower braces where each side of the brace is the same size and one where one side of the brace is longer. i guess I made the mistake of "thinking" that this was the difference between the normal and extended versions. the drive shafts i got were for the extended chasis but of course the rear shaft is way too long. The front fits, are the wheel shafts the same

The original .15 Maxx was the narrow..."wide Maxx" was an option with the .15 Pro. They made the 2.5 and it came standard as a wide. To be honest I have never really noticed the holes in the upper arms much to be able to say which is which. Anyway, There is the extended chassis from Traxxas that is for the newer 3.3. It is longer in the front instead of the rear like is needed to facilitate the installation of a big block engine. This normally called the 3.3 chassis. They are a touch wider in stance due to the usage of Revo steering blocks however, the arms are still the same as the 2.5. There is also an aftermarket extended chassis commonly know as the .21 chassis that is longer in the rear to allow big block conversions as I mentioned earlier. It will normally use a 2.5 length front drive shaft and the extra long read shaft. The chassis rails are also three different lengths. The .15 and 2.5 (black plastic) share common size an the 3.3 (normally gray) is a bit longer. The extended .21 chassis is also a bit longer than the 3.3. I know other will have some input on this and maybe even correct me on a couple things but it gets you started in the correct direction.

I really need you to clarify exactly what it is you're trying to do. All pro-15/2.5 (4910,4902) maxxes are short chassis and the first 3.3 was too, #4909. The shafts going to the wheels will not interchange from the 2.5 chassis to a 3.3 chassis.....however the 2.5 R #4902 does have the revo-spec shafts and they will work on a 3.3. Of course, changing the axle carriers and toe links will allow the use of 3.3 shafts on older models.

Confused yet?

The 4908/4907 maxxes are completely interchangeable, with only a few slight differences in radio gear, hex hubs etc.

Another thing to consider is the transmission output shaft. The black transmission has a shaft that is 1mm smaller than the diffs, making it difficult to just throw in some 3.3 shafts. I'm unclear on whether or not the 2.5r has a black trans with the correct output shaft. Good luck, and do your research, there'e alot of maxx parts out there.

I'm trying to get all the stuff i want so I only have to take everything apart once, at least once due to upgrades. i'm sure broken parts will bear their own tasks. so it sounds like the axles going from the carriers to the wheels are the same?

No, the carriers are at the wheels (hubs). You need the upgraded (revo spec) axle carriers to run the newer shafts. At the diff they will all hook up the same.

Back