t maxx spur gears

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperMaxx83

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Well i have a tmaxx with a big block conversion. The problem i am having is i keep smoking my clutch shoes with the stock set up and i am wondering if there is a new set up i can try to plant some more power to the ground. I have tried the tmaxx 3 shoes set up and it failed,Nova aluminum shoes failed,xtm 3 shoe set up and failed,and many more. I am looking for a new steel spur gear set up. Kinda like the savage but 72 teeth so i can run a buggy clutch system. I have a LRP .28 spec 3 in it and i need to plant some power to the ground. If you know of a set up then please let me know or let me know where i can get them. Looking for 72 tooth spur. Thanx Guys :redbuggy:

yep

RC solutions makes a hardened steel spur gear that is pitched for 1/8 clutchbells.. I just picked one up and it is NICE! Check out there forum for more answers, pics..

I just checked on the rc solutions spur gear and i have one ?ion. Will this work on the new 3.3 tranny?
Also i want low end grunt so do i want the 56 or 54 tooth gear?
Thanx Jonh

Last edited:
well if you are looking for lower end, then the smaller spur is going to be better.. as for the other question, I want to say yes.. but please ask John to make sure before purchasing.. I've yet to buy a 3.3 so I can't be positive.

how can i get ahold of john to ask him?
Thanx John

well if you are looking for lower end, then the smaller spur is going to be better.. as for the other question.

Sorry, but you are wrong here, you will need a larger spur gear, or a smaller clutch bell, for more low end.

The more teeth on a spur the more bottom end you will have, the fewer teeth on the spur and the more top end you will have. With the reverse being true for clutch bells. The fewer teeth on a clutchbell and the more bottom end you will get, and the more teeth on a clutchbell the more top end you will get.

wow.. yep.. i was thinking about clutchbells.. damn.. umm.. yeah listen to what he said. oops. Thanks NCNitro

thanx for the fix. i justed asked john about the tranny. Thanx John

Make sure you get a hardened CB to go with it. I used an OFNA hardened bell. If you try to use anything that isn't hardened, it will chew right through it in a matter of a few minutes.

thats all i use onmy other cars and trucks is hardend bells and i have alot of spares so i wont need to buy one. Thanx for the Tip up. Thanx John

your best bet is to get a double disc slipper, Those little pegs just don't have the holding power you need. I would stay with a plastic spur for now and just try using 2 full pads. Its been awhile since i dealt with a tmaxx but i think roboinson racing makes one. You don't have to go with steel and that should be your last option. Once you go with steel, the weak point in your drivetrain moves somewhere else. The shafts if you still have plastic and if those are steel, then your tranny will be the next to go. If it were my truck, i would get the dual disc slipper with the full pads and a plastic spur, set the mesh perfectly, and see how it does.

I used a spur and slipper for a associated MGT for my big block conversion. It's a perfect fit.

well i have a bullit proof tranny and tried the rrp spur and still had probs with the clutch and tried 5 or 6 different clutch set ups and still no go so no i have the rc solutions gear and i can't keep the front end down. i am now running a buggy clutch set up and wow. Thanx John