T-Maxx Clutch Bell Stripped

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmaxxmedic

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
How do I mesh the clutch bell gear and spur gear properly? I just installed a new integy clutch bell on my 3.3 and it stripped out in 10 mins.. :( I didnt move the engine mount, I took the engine out with out removing the mount. Or are Integy Gears that crappy.. Any other type of clutch bells that are made stronger? I need some input on this.. Also what's a good tune thats in the middle for both racing and bashing?

If you managed to install a new clutchbell without ajusting the engine than that is why you probably stripped it especially if you went smaller cause the teeth would be farther away from each other than your original 1 you had on there. I usually loosen the engine mounts from the chassis and get a piece of paper between the spur and bell. Allpy even pressure pushing the engine "into" the spur, tighten the engine mounts and remove the paper.

Every rig will tune differently depending on your enviornment. I prefer to run mine "rich" and sacrifice a little power for engine life. I could run 3 turns out on my HSN at my house and be fine all day, go to my sisters house 2 hrs away and it wont run at all unless I lean out to 2 turns. Your location will dictate your tune to a point

If you stripped a cluth bell it is most likely due to using a hardened steel spur with a non hardened bell. Add a bad mesh to that and it will not take long for the spur to eat the bell. A hardened spur will win that battle every time.

My Race tune is the same as my bashing tune. Not too lean, not too rich.

I found that the problem was that I forgot to locktight the engine mount bolts which became very loose, when I reinstalled the engine with locktight, the gear mesh was perfect. But when I installed my new RD Rear Exhaust on the truck, the truck began to run extremely lean and at a very very very very high idle, and the truck wanted to take off on me. As I tried to tune the carb, I noticed that the clutch bell was cherry red.. I quickly shut it down and saw that the clutch shoes were melted since I saw the remainder of the clutch had oozed out of the vent holes on the cb. Thank God I have an extra set of clutch shoes. I phoned a friend who is better then I at tuning who is going to retune it for me later today.. I can't wait to pull it apart and examine the carnage.

Are Racers Edge CB's good? I just ordered 3 of them from their overstock sale on their website..

You're already seeing the effects of that pipe. They're junk and will ruin the engine. They do not pressurize the tank properly, leading to lean issues.

I was told if I plug one side of the pipe, it will increase the back pressure and pressureize the tank slightly better. How would I go about pluging one side up??

A simple earplug squished into the hole will work but again not the best choice in pipe IMO. Whats the sense in having a "dual exhaust" if 1 is plugged up?

Your better off getting the TRX #5487 Resonator Tuned pipe that comes on the 4908/07 T maxx truck it will outperform the RD pipe hands down.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Traxxas...Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20c4a87729

I have a Traxxas 4-Tech " All stock " & almost shure it has a TRX Resonator for very simular to the #5487. Sorry dident mean to get off subject.

I heard RD pipes are junk & makes alot of engines run lean & even replacing the powerplant all together.

Back