t-maxx classic with 3.3 engine:good brakes?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glennster

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
i have a classic traxxas t-maxx that came with a .15 engine but i've made several upgrades including switching to a 3.3 engine. are there some sort of brakes that will work better for the more powerful engine that will still fit on my stock .15 transmission?

I can't say much about any brake upgrades since I haven't looked into any for my Maxx. One thing that will help though would be to put in a stronger servo.

thanks...i reckon that would probably help..never thought of that.:)

I have the 2.5R model with a 3.3 on it and the brakes suuuuuuuuck, i plan on a larger stronger servo and am hope full something better than what i have now to slow it down as it takes forever. i also have the 4908 style wheels and tires which i love if they make a difference.

The stock brake setup works decent if it's setup properly. Make sure the disc is in good shape and clean(light sanding if not). Sand the metal pads lightly as well. Mine even work decent with a 2018 Trx servo. That's with 3.3 Tires on it. Then adjust the linkage to the way you like the brakes to feel.

I had this exact same problem about 1 month ago. Here is what I did to fix the lack of braking power:

1. 134 oz./torque hi-tech steering/brake servo $34
2. Replaced fuel tubing with spring on brake linkage arm: gives a more positive and progressive feel to the brakes and can be trimmed down to give really hard braking suited to your tastes.
3. I doubled up the brake plates on the brake disc to prevent bending of these plates (when they are not doubled up)

The above listed modifications improved breaking considerably, so much so that I could lock up the brakes and endo the truck if I wanted to on demand. Took about 1 hour of work and about $40 in parts to transform the brake system.

Some may argue that why not just upgrade the brake pad/disc itself, but for the $15+ for a brake pad/kit, it is still going to wear out, the above modifications will not wear out. I am using a stock brake pad/disc that is probably 5 years old and can still lock the brakes up no problem.

to go further... I also purchased the following items to make the braking even more powerful:

4. Aluminum servo mount $14 on ebay for gpm racing products - highly recommend this brand, very cheap, very durable

hope this helps!

well thanks for the advice guys. i think i'm going to start with that new servo....:D

well thanks for the advice guys. i think i'm going to start with that new servo....:D

Id make sure the linkage is adjusted properly first, before spending any more money.. unless you're looking for an excuse :hehe:

A stronger servo won't make much of a difference if the linkage is out of adjustment and the disc and pads are glazed.

I like the idea of sanding the metal plates and doubling them up (one of mine is slightly bent and I'm sure hampering braking performance)

Get a newer tranny of ebay, the new brake system is way nicer. You'll have to get 3.3 center shafts to and cut them down a little. I did that on my 4910 and it worked really well. But it also made me basically buy all new 3.3 junk of ebay and now it's a 4907 haha.