t-maxx classic transmission problem

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drdoct

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I recently got a t-maxx off ebay and this is my first real post. I've searched around but have not seen what I needed to help so I figured I'd just start a thread and see what happens. I'm getting tired of taking the tranny out so please help me. When I started the transmission was very hit and miss with starting. It would not climb but once you got it up to speed I was ok. I realize that t-maxxes stutter (now) but I took my tranny apart thinking something was wrong. I was careful and didn't remove the 2 speed gears from their shaft. I did adust the forward and reverse pawls. Put it all back together and now it won't move at all. So I took it apart again and turned the pawls ccw to a little more like the middle of the screw length. Put it all together and still nothing. I just replaced the spur and it's flying so it's lined up and I've got it tightened all the way to make sure it's not slipping. I've shifted between reverse and forward a lot to make sure it's not hung up. I plan on getting a traxxas foc gear later today, but am worried the LHS won't have one. I really want to run this thing but can't figure it out. Are the pawls that hard to adjust? I realize that I'll be ditching them with the foc, but I would actually like a reverse (though not the stuttering take offs). The only other thing I can imagine is that maybe a pin is broken in the tranny. when you open up the transmission, are the top 2 speed gears supposed to turn freely on the shaft? I hate this transmission because you can't test it without assembling and running it at high speed. Here I was thinking that the motor would be bad and hard to start, but it starts right away. Also, I can't just go buy a new 3.3 transmission because I dont have that kind of cash right now since I already spent more than I should have on this. I've really tried to diagnose this problem before posting so ANY help would be appreciated.

I can't speak to your tranny problems but your "stutter" problem most likely had less to do with the tranny and more to do with the tune. Overly rich HSN settings will cause the engine to bog down and "stutter". I could be wrong here but that is what your original issue sounds like to me...

BTW--Do you still have the Opti-Drive installed? If so ditch it, they suck. Good luck!

Last edited:
I went ahead and got a FOC for it so now I'm going to have to get it tuned. It's super rich. 115 degrees at the glow plug. Ran through a tank of gas like nothing. I'll get it tuned tomorrow. For now I'm going to stop playing and start working. I don't have the optidrive. The motor wasn't the thing stuttering, sorry I probably should have used the word jerking instead of stuttering.

I went ahead and got a FOC for it so now I'm going to have to get it tuned. It's super rich. 115 degrees at the glow plug. Ran through a tank of gas like nothing. I'll get it tuned tomorrow. For now I'm going to stop playing and start working. I don't have the optidrive. The motor wasn't the thing stuttering, sorry I probably should have used the word jerking instead of stuttering.

Jerking--stuttering--same difference. Point is you are way too rich as you just confirmed. How did I know that? Hummm....

i highly recomend the 3.3 tranny once you have the funds.

make sure your clutch bell gear and spur gear are spaced right you should be able to spine the spur gear and it should only go around 2.5 times thats the right spacing. make sure none of the gears are grinded down and adjust the shift point

my 3.3 t-maxx was stuttering because it was leaning out due to a craped out front bearing.