T Maxx 3.3 engine starting problems???

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zooman802002

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I recently bought a Tmaxx 3.3 with the E/Z start system. The truck had only had 2 tanks ran through it when I purchased it and I got a GREAT deal on it but there was one problem with it,the last time the previous owner drove it he had attempted to drive it in the snow and it didnt go very long before he said it just lost all power and died. He never attempted to look further into the problem and the truck sat for the next 6 to 8 months or so. I recieved the truck with everything but the battery for the e/z start controller,so I went and purchased a cheap 1500mah battery to use with the e/z start problem is when I go to start the truck the electric motor barely gets one or two revolutions before it doesn't have enough juice to turn it over anymore,also the green light that is supposed to light up on the controller for the glow plug does not light up at all. I tryed a diffrent battery,using my rechargable glow plug warmer,new glow plug and nothing changed. The only way I did get the motor to fire was to take my adjustable power supply and hook it directly to the e/z starts electric motor and even then it doesn't want to spin the motor till its turned up to nearlly 15 volts. Its like the motor has way to much compression,cause when u pull out the glow plug and crank the motor it turns freely and when i pulled the head off the block the piston and sleeve looked to be in excellent shape. Any ideas on what the problem could be or how to go about fixing it? I was thinking that moisture may have gotten into the e/z start motor and screwed it up so that was next on my list of things to replace,please help,I only payed $80 bucks for this truck and wanna get it all straightened out,Thanks

The truck did fire and run when you cranked your power supply up 15 volts? If so then it does sound like the EZ start motor is bad, the windings are probably corroded from the snow and now require too much current to spin the engine under compression.

It depends on what he did with it in the snow. since i have gotten my tmaxx's i have ran them almost daily and I live in Maine.... but yeah change the starter and the e-z start wires, because both green lights should light up, until either starter goes bad, or if plug goes. and if you know the plug is good and that light dont light up it would be the wire... unless you also need a new wand.. even if you need the wand, the motor, and the wires buy a new E-Z start system (some come with the wand and some come with a button you put on your truck) the kit runs about 40. the motor I think is 20, Wand I beleive is 15 and wire harness for the e-z start is like 7 or 8 bucks.. Thats a pretty good deal on that rig!!! Have fun!!!!!!!!!! (oh red kills they eyes.)

can some one please tell me how to set the carb on a 3.3 t maxx motor

did you check the one way bearing? i know that this similar situation happened to me, i charged my ez start battery ( brand new battery too ) and tried to crank it over and had nothing happen the engine would hardly turn over and the green light on the wand would go out. i replaced the one way and poof the problem went away, it turns over beautifully now without a hitch.

albee: check the traxxas website for factory settings, thats the best place to start. I'm pretty sure that you turn the hsn all the way in and then 4 turns out, the lsn should be flush and the idle slide should be set to 1mm.

yup the high speed needle u close and then four full turns out, and low speed needle is flush. after that you basically turn the high speed needle 1/8 of a turn clockwise till you reach maximum performance. if you get to a point where you hitthe gas and it cuts out before it picks up speed you will need to turn back atleast 1/8 of a turn to regain power. I hope this helps you out