T + E-Maxx / Gorillamaxx Brushless Project

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robmob

LET’S GO BRANDON!
Staff member
Supporter
Excellence Award
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Since my $2K T-maxx is just collecting dust, I decided to combine it with a brand new E-maxx with a Novak Brushless HV-Maxx system.

Here is a list of stuff taken from the T-Maxx:

• Airtronics 94358Z Steering Servo
• Alum Steering Servo Skid
• Hexcrews Screw Kit
• Hitec HS-925MGS Throttle Servo (now serving shifting duty)
• JR XS3 Radio
• Kippster Diff Cups with modified RRP Ring Gears
• Lunsford Titanium Turnbuckles with Proline Maxx Ball Ends
• MIP Shiny CVD’s on all four corners
• Proline Maxx Alum Wheel Hexes
• Proline Maxx Performance Steering Kit
• Proline Powerstroke Shocks with heavy duty spring set
• RC Solutions Bulkheads front and rear
• RC Solutions Chassis Braces
• RC Solutions Skid Plates front and rear
• RPM A-Arms and Steering Knuckles
• RPM Center Skid
• RPM Lower Spring Cups
• RPM Shock Towers
• RRP 72T Metal Double Disk Slipper

Basically, the front and rear ends off my T-Maxx were added to the E-Maxx chassis.

I had to do some dremel work to get the Pro-line steering kit to work on the E-Maxx chassis.

I had to pick-up a set of MIP center CVD’s for the E-Maxx. The center CVD’s for a T-Maxx would not work.

Also installed a pair of 7 cell NiMH 3800’s along with some gorilla straps.

Deans connectors and RRP 76T spur added to my RRP dual disk slipper and a RRP 13T pinion finished the project off.

I sold off all the excess E-Maxx parts as well as the T-Maxx tranny. Going to keep my Sirio .18 as a back-up for my Revo.

This sucker has some sick torque that basically flips onto it's lid in first gear. Best to leave it in second gear all the time. Even then it will flop onto its lid if you mash the throttle. Not sure on the top speed, but it seems to be faster than my old Maxx with the .18 or my Revo. The low end will blow the doors off any nitro I have run.

I am glad I did this project. Sometimes I just want to run around the back yard or down at the local school grounds. Nitro in these areas is out of the question.

emaxx.jpg

Next project……Irock Crawler.

Last edited:
Robmob: it's looks great! Adding all that aftermarket trick stuff should make it bullet proof alright!

I had a 1st gen E-Maxx and added a lot of bling-bling to it. It was pretty rugged, and it also weighed around 14.6 pounds.

I wanted to go brushless but didn't want to haul all that weight around anymore, so instead of adding the stock parts back to my E-Maxx I went ahead and bought a 2nd gen E-Maxx with the wide suspension. I left it all plastic, except for the titanium rear skid, and changed to lighter weight HPI wheels and Pro Line Bowties. All up weight is around 9 pounds.

As you know, this HV Maxx system is ballistic! It flat smokes my 2.5 T-Maxx in acceleration. And compared to my old E-Maxx, well there is no comparison lol...

Cheers! :)
-Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
lol about time u did something with that thing.thats pretty cool looking rob

cool project Rob. There's a kid that frequents the same hobby shop I do that has two of those motors in his E-Maxx. I've never actually seen it run cuz it's always broken... wonder why... lol

Raising this from the dead.

I just bought a Gorillamaxx G2 chassis with some of my Super Bowl winnings. Also going to pick-up their single speed conversion for the tranny.

Chassis should be here in a week. Pics to follow.....

I have no idea how I missed this thread the first time around. I have seen rob's truck in person and it hauls, even without lipos. Looking forward to seeing the final product! Are you keeping the HV maxx system?

For now I am going to stick with the HV Maxx system.

Killer rig, Rob. Keep us posted.:green-grin:

very nice.. i remember when the tmaxx first came out i wanted one really bad lol i wanted to a brushless setup on my rc10t.. my wallet said no.. i need to have a talk with it..

Chassis is in hand and I am currently graining the aluminum parts so it has a better appearance. They came with a raw finish which I did not like.

I will post a before and after pic of the finish as well as the assembled chassis before I attach all the rest of the parts.

Some pics of the gorillmaxx chassis.

Here is a pic of the graining/polishing I did. I used 600 wet/dry sand paper to grain the aluminum in one direction then followed with a rubbing of Brasso. Before and after of the chassis braces are shown as well as one of the top plates that was half done.
polishing.jpg

Here is a pic of the assembled chassis. I still need to add the battery straps but I will do that after all the other parts are put on.
gorillamaxx.jpg

O-O-O-O My goodness!
Looking great Rob. How long did it take you to polish them up? I noticed you haven't been on as much in the last week.

It took a few hours to get the aluminum where I was satisfied with it.

I still have not been able to find the gorillamaxx single speed conversion for the tranny. I need to finish my Avante re-build and 18T anyway, so I am going to lay the e-maxx project aside until I am able to pick the conversion up.

I need to suck it up and plunk down the $$$ and get my workshop built. That way I can have a computer next to my workbench.

Hey Rob,

How is the Gorilla project coming along? I am still waiting on my stuff to get here. UE is having server issues so until they get them fixed... I know my idler get is not coming anytime soon.

Tom

I am waiting for Gorillamaxx to get the tranny single speed conversion back in stock so the project is on hold.

Unless someone throws one up on fleabay, it won't be until around mid March.

I am going to start taking apart the existing e-maxx this week. I can at least mount the front end on the new chassis. Since the motor is mounted backwards with the GM mount. I also need to flip my diffs. I need to replace the diff fluid anyway.

Probably going to sell the RC Solutions chassis braces and aluminum steering servo guard off of the old chassis.

I hate waiting on parts. That seems to put more projects on hold than anything else it seems. I am waiting on UE to get there stuff together so they can send me that Idler gear. Without that gear, that motor is going to toast that plastic gear in one run.

Anywho... good luck my friend, and if you end up selling that stuff... PM... depending on the money situation at the time... I may be interested. Take care my friend.

Tom

Finally some Dace Predator shock towers came up on eBay. Now the gorillamaxx project can move forward a little bit.

Still waiting for gorillamaxx to reopen so I can get the single speed conversion.

Sweet... I can't wait to see some pictures of this beast! Mine is coming along nicely... although it is not a gorilla maxx! LOL Is gorilla maxx closed up? You said you were waiting on them to reopen. Good luck my friend!

Tom

They have been closed for over a month. They were supposed to reopen on the 15th of this month, but then put it off until April 2nd.

They have been closed for over a month. They were supposed to reopen on the 15th of this month, but then put it off until April 2nd.

I wonder why they had to close? Thanks dude.

Tom