SUT 1st track outing, questions???

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UltegraSTI

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
well didnt finish the team tech article yet, but the weather was good and felt like goin out and gettin some time in.

well after fixin a minor issue w/a servo horn. went out 2 a section of the track w/o the jumps and obstacles, just a couple turns and a straight. and still managed 2 break 1 of the stock wheels. ripped the center section right out. i was not happy.

also another reason 2 tear down the truck is that many of the metal 2 metal bolts were in some cases not even tight, much less loctited. had that issue w/a universal and a outdrive later on.

still tryin 2 dial in the engine, gettin close. ran a qt thru 2day and results were encouragin.

my biggest issue is w/the clutch. yes my bottom end might b a lil fat right now. but especially in the 1st min or so. have 2 be ever so touchy 'shoving off'. it loves to stall if u just a lil too greedy. if u get past that, it take a while (and alot of revs) 2 get it goin. it finally wakes up. but theres no punch. i hear the revs comin way up b4 it really starts to go.

it was like this from the 1st day i started 2 move the truck (tank 3 i think).

any thoughts on the clutch issue?

thx

-Ult

Is this a bone stock Brand new SUT? I want one but I want to know all the Pros and Cons. Does is have a slipper or not? What type shoes are you using? What gearing? I checked my clutch shoes and fopund them to be glazed so I hit em with some sand paper to remove the glaze and it cured that problem. I would either change out to a different clutch set up like the fioroni turbo sliding clutch or just aluminum shoes.

this is a new almost stock SUT. mx3 radio sys, dynamite linkage, and some upgraded steering parts. (all the drive stuff is stock).

any1 know some good articles or tech tips 4 clutch tunings. springs? shoes? etc. whats this centax and this sliding clutch stuff. anythin out there thats relatively quick 2 tune (perhaps in car)?

thx

-Ult

this is the first instance I've heard of the SUT and the clutch not acting right? my friend has a bone stock SUT and that thing rips from stand still to top speed. sut do not have slippers and have a 3 shoe carbon clutch setup. it is basically the same thing as a Gs storm 1/8 buggy. to me this sounds like a tuning issue, not a clutch issue? take apart the clutch and make sure everythings in working order, like the springs and shoes what not.

your lack of bottom end and stalling are all tuning related. the high revs and the truck not moving are clutch problems. they can be intertwined depening on how bad the clutch is.

take your clutch apart and clean it out. new clutch bearings have a lot of oil or grease in them, when the motor reves up, it flings this grease out of the bearings and right into your clutch contact area. this will cause the problems your experiencing. clean out the clutchbell with alcohol and use light sandpaper on the shoes and the inside of the bell. if the shoes are shot, id replace them with mugen aluminums anyway.

for your engine. start it up, and get it up to temp. put it on the starterbox or someplace the wheels can't touch the ground. rev it up to clear out the engine entirely. let off the gas and pinch the gas line. it should take 4-5 seconds to rev up and die. if it takes longer lean out your bottom end, shorter richen it up. adjust your idle accordingly for the new setting. plop it on the ground and then tune for your HSN, plenty of smoke and the motor sounds like its cleared out at top speed.

that should take care of it for ya.

yeh i went back and did the linkage and thus the idle screw. make sure that is workin proper. took the motor out, pulled the bell off. but then i stopped there, car guy and good wrench i may be, as i dont know exactly how these things work. so b4 i mess somethin up or can't back 2 where i was, i stopped and will look 4 more info. any1 got some good articles or pics of clutch stuff?

and yes on the tuning thing, after its run a few min then i can stop-start no prob. just wanted to be rich there still since its only thru now 2qts.

surprised they put a 13T bell on here, loox like the spur is the same as a buggy, not sure. i'd like a 12T eventually.

these ally shoes u speak of. gotta link. also 4 springs. harder stuff means it takes more revs b4 engagement and softer vice versa. it goes when it gets goin. dont wanna go buy all this stuff and cause more headaches. the team article suggested a 12T bell from ofna, 1.1 (?) springs from mugen, and now these ally shoes. thoughts on these parts? b/c it needin all those revs like its slippin (especially outta a U turn) is killin me in the tight sections, and the indoor track i'll run at this winter is VERY tight.

thx

-Ult

btw, will the proline wheels w/offset work on this truck. b/c the stock wheels suck!!! broke 1 already, and it was lame (almost like it was defective).

i bolted up some borrowed stock tmaxx wheels (which dont need the hex adaptor either) and they served their purpose in lettin me run the rest of the day but it narrowed the track and they just rubbed my side guards. so i'm guessin the maxx wheels w/an offset would do the trick?

-Ult

The proline wheels with the .5" offset will work on the SUT. I ran them on mine for a while. Ofna makes a 12 tooth clutch bell that will work with the SUT - you just have to adjust the shims accordingly as it is a little longer (or shorter?) than the stock 13T bell.
2 Quarts through the motor? Tune her up - you're good to go.

what is this turbo sliding clutch thing? just curious.

what setups do people use in their truggies, or cars in general. any SUT guys do some clutch work.

is there anything that adjustable w/o takin the motor out?

-Ult

well all the bs hingepins are gone in favor of storm shock shafts. big improvement.

used small shock cartridge shims from OFNA on each side in the rear to take out slop in the knuckle.

machined pro knuckles are on up front. very nice. get these asap in ur RTR (stock on pro), the case knuckles are junk. u will lose screws, have steering binds and could potentially damage ur universal if it comes at the wrong time.

machined hinge pin holders too!!!, got the 1.5deg 1s. the cast pieces again are junk. get these all u storm and SUT RTR folks. front and rear.

the antenna mount was put on, lil dremel work 2 the radio box and its mint.

TRS and OFNA failsafe in place (TRS was made from a kyosho mad force piece avail at tower).

buggy springs on right now 2 try out setup. OFNA blues in rear (maybe lil 2 soft) and OFNA purple up front (feels nice). 30wt front and 25 rear. we'll see where she goes

rerouted fuel lines, much easier 2 work with.

the motor is really runnin well, gettin some more time on it. and the real cold 2nite helped it since it was rich. still rich, but better. really gettin snappy now ( :) )

gotta race comin sunday. bunch of us are caravaning up to a indoor nitro track and gonna run the monsters.

-Ult

:) Good luck Sunday! Psi and I should be going up to a indoor track to "look" this Sunday.

wouldnt be Bumps n Jumps R/C in harrisburg, pa would it? (btw, my lil bro grad'd from PSU (IT prgm) last spring).

-ult

yes it is bumps and jumps, we'll see you there ultegra. what should we look for other than your SUT?