Suspension setup for basher/jumper

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlezeb777

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I drive my revo in a large field. There is a gravel pile I use for a jump. In some spots it is over two feet tall. My son has a Nitro Stampede and he can fly off this jump. I have been playing around with the suspension on my revo. I put the long travel rockers on with the stiff springs that came with them and of coarse that sucked! I read that I should have put in thicker shock oil to reduce roll. Anyways today I put on the progressive 2 rockers, gold springs in back and green in front. Now it sets low and slaps the bottom all the time. So thats were I am at now.
So guys what is the best setup for me like rockers, springs and oil. My oil is the stock stuff. I want to get good air and then land nice and smooth. My guess is progressive 1 with thicker oil.....please help me!
:\

progressive 3's will make her real stiff and put the blue springs up front and the purple in the rear. also put 60 wt oil in there

progressive 3's will make her real stiff and put the blue springs up front and the purple in the rear. also put 60 wt oil in there

what would the ride height be with this setup? Isn't this going to sit even lower?
:\

shouldn't the ride height shouldn't change. but the rate of the progressives will

I would go with what you stated above, P1s with a heavier oil like 50 -60 wt. I always thought the P3s were for a smoother, flatter type track.
But you can adjust your height with the push rods and/or shock collars to see if that helps.

Now I am wondering, as I will admit I never have changed out my rockers. They always have had the P2s on.
But I always thought if I needed something to really absorb larger jumps, it would be the P1s.
Anyone?

I never found the silver bullet with the revo suspension for bashing. Set it up for general bashing and it doesn't handle big air without slapping the ground like a buggy. Set it up for big air and it handles so poorly you want to set it on fire.

That said, I tried P1's, P2's and P3's (with appropriate pushrods for all) along with oil varying from 30-65 weight along with varying spring colors.

I had the best I could get it running P2's with 45 and silver (or blue, can't recall for certain) springs all around. Wasn't as plush as I'd like, but also didn't hit the ground so hard on 5+ feet of air.

Also, I have found the key to hitting big air all day long is making sure you have forward momentum. Hitting a ramp that shoots the rig straight up in the air means the suspension has to absorb all the inertia of the landing. However, if your moving forward at a good clip, a lot of the inertia is absorbed in forward glancing blows. Straight up and down jumps is how I broke rockers and bent pushrods. Granted, it was 7+ feet of air, but geez... my savage could do it. ;)

Pretty much true about jumping. It seems the faster i hit my ramp the better the truck levels out in the air. My ramp throws my truck about 5 foot high and almost 10 foot out. I hit this ramp at full throttle and the speed of the wheels keep the truck flying straight. If your jumping make sure to be on the throttle. These trucks are just like my dirtbike. If you let off before you leave the ramp you get sent nose down. Too much throttle and not enough speed and you go nose high.

This is my revo over the gravel pile...:)

DSC_1667.jpg

Here is my old warhead with a savage 4.6 in it...I got tons of air with that truck but I broke it alot. Only because of the power the 4.6 has compared to the super tiger terd engine. :D

DSC_1714.jpg

Last edited:
Cool, thanks guys.
Nice pics littlezeb777. I am moving in a few weeks and hopefully I will find good stuff like that to trash out my rig on.
I will be LBSinATX then.

Back