Suggestions for beginner racer in the <$400 catagory

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okihost

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
I am still pretty much totally new to nitros and I would like to start racing at the local track I have been going to just to check out on the sundays.

I am trying to stay in the $400 or under area with all electronics if possible. I have heard the GS Storm and Hyper 7 are good from local people I have talked to but I figured I would ask you guys :)

I don't mind used if I can find something decent but I don't want to spend $400 on something that has been used and abused already so I am always kind of leary of getting anything used not being 100% sure of its past.

I was going to race a tmaxx but I figure I will keep that for bashing and a nice 1/8th buggy for racing because they look pretty awesome when running :)

I strongly suggest one of the hyper 7s. I have a hyper 7 pbs with and 8 port engine and it flys. I race and bash and i love it to death. thats just my :2cents:

Thanks, it there a size limit with buggys like there is with MTs? I think small block is .18 and under and big block is the rest at the track I go to so I just want to make sure I can get something I can race.

I see there are three versions the plain hyper 7 rtr, another one that comes with a starter box (do I need this?) and another one that is a PCR version

Plain Hyper 7 419$
Hyper 7 with starter box $469
Hyper 7 PCR $489

Are these decent prices? I got them from Tower and another site I found after doing a google

Perfect time to chime in.I would get the Hyper 7 with the starter box.Because in a race if the engine overheats and flames out.It will take a long time to get it started with a pull starter.Or if the engine is worn out (Sounds familiar BTW) it will flame out a lot when you try to race it.

Oh and I forgot to tell you guys the person I sold that 2.5 to,He wrote on my feedback and said the engine hauls A$$.Just thought yall might want to hear that.

someone let the dog out!

Hey man watch out I got firecrackers!

cisco-red said:
Because in a race if the engine overheats and flames out.It will take a long time to get it started with a pull starter.Or if the engine is worn out (Sounds familiar BTW) it will flame out a lot when you try to race it.

He forgot to add this is the point you sell it on E-bay as being an engine w/ less than a gallon on it to a kids father for his christmas present......welcome back dude.....I think you are exactly what this site needed lately....
Gentlemen
Happy shooting

Well I'll be back in a few months.I just had to post a few times.

cisco-red said:
Oh and I forgot to tell you guys the person I sold that 2.5 to,He wrote on my feedback and said the engine hauls A$$.Just thought yall might want to hear that.[/QUOTE

its all about what you thought the condition of the engine was when you sold it
so that doest mean squat

You can get the hyper pbs/pcr buggy for less then 479 just shop around some more. If you need more info let me know via pm and I can give you some links.

racer in the <$400 catagory = hyper 7

Thanks guys, going to go with a Hyper 7 for sure now Rush RC has some good prices so I will probably order from there.

Thanks again

Any time. Thats what this forum is for.

i think a hyper 7 pbs or pcr would be a good choice they are preaty good rtr

The Hyper 7 PBS RTR may be 389.00 or 409.00, but the Hyper 7 PCR RTR will be a lot more, closer to 475.00. It also comes with a starter box but it is junk. Get the Hyper 7 RTR without the box and use the money you saved to get RD Logics buggy starter box.

I have the PCR and Most of the time I prefer to drive it over the Thunder Tiger EB4 S3. Most of it has a lot to do with set up and I have the PCR more dialed than the TT, although I love the V-Spec I have in the TT.

buy this one its already set up for racing. and cheaper than new, so you can afford to buy some spares for it as well to be prepared at the track.

Back