Stripped out the Glow plug hole

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilligan

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Hey guys, I have stripped out the hole for the glow plug on my Savy's 46 big block engine. I know I can replace the button, what I don't know, is exactly what button I'm looking for. I've poked around online and found a few different ones, but I'm not sure which one to get for my engine. If someone could point me in the right direction, I'd greatly appreciate it.

If you're happy with it's current performance and tune, get a stock replacement head. There's also high compression heads, but those a bit more expensive and would require retuning.

If you're happy with it's current performance and tune, get a stock replacement head. There's also high compression heads, but those a bit more expensive and would require retuning.

Dude, he doesn't need the head, just the button. BTW--that button part number is HPI 1447.

Last edited:
That's the thing I love about button heads. You strip one, then just replace one. Cheaper than buying a whole new head, unlike my STS engine. If I strip mine I'm out to look for a button head cooling head.

Thanks for the input fellas.. I found the button I was looking for. However, now I'm seriously considering just replacing the engine completely.. It has given me nothing but grief since I got it. Now I just need to decide on what engine to drop in this thing... Decisions.. Decisions...

Thanks again for the input..

Good decision!

I would recommend the LRP Z.28R Spec 3 or the Picco .28. Both engines have nothing but good reviews.

Dude, he doesn't need the head, just the button. BTW--that button part number is HPI 1447.

Dammit man, you caught me. I am still thinking 1/1 here. I mean head button. The buttons i call heads, the heads i call cooling fins...sorry for the confusion.

But watch in case the stripped glow plug thread didn't leave any small piece of metal into the engine...because it could really damage it. JMO

But you really are getting rid of it , well, disregard my last transmission.

But watch in case the stripped glow plug thread didn't leave any small piece of metal into the engine...because it could really damage it. JMO

But you really are getting rid of it , well, disregard my last transmission.

I've decided to got with the Picco .28 engine, but sadly that will have to wait for a month or so till I have some extra funds to drop on it. In the meantime I'm going to replace the button (already on its way now) so I can at least run the truck until I can get the Picco.

I've already got the engine just about pulled apart. I was going to try to flush it out as best I can for little pieces of metal. I did notice the top of the piston is really dark brown to black.. Is that normal? or does it have something to do with the mixture? If it's bad on the engine what can I do to clean it? I really don't want to spend the money to replace it, since I'm getting a new engine asap. Also I have another question.. My truck has the complete Hotbodies Truckzilla kit on it.. (ya I know the engine is junk, and the tires are too big and break easy) My question is.. When I get the Picco .28, are there any other parts I will have to change to accommodate the new engine? or should I be able to just drop it in, and go? This truck is heavy, I hope the Picco will be able to push it pretty well. As it is right now, with the stupidly large wheels, my truck weighs just under 16lbs.

Thanks again fellas..

You're running fine. That should just be the carbon build-up inside.

Hello,
Just for your information there is a TIME-SERT thread repair kit
for the 1/4-32 spark plug kit p/n 0142SP
http://www.timesert.com/html/0142SP-note.html
They also recommend a sealer that goes to 500 degrees for the extenal thread.
The kit is about $90 and would probably be useful for RC engine rebuilders.
Pheads-sm.jpg

Rick :D

I'm pretty sure that kit is for a 4 stroke engine, plus it's much cheaper to buy a new button head.