Stripped hex screw

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daeday02

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Anyone know how to get a stripped hex screw out I tried rubber bands already

tap a slightly larger torx bit into the head, then unscrew as normal, if that doesn't work, use a dremel and cut a cross into the screw cap. if that fails, drill and easy out
hope that helps!

tap a slightly larger torx bit into the head, then unscrew as normal, if that doesn't work, use a dremel and cut a cross into the screw cap. if that fails, drill and easy out
hope that helps!
Kinda need it cause it's for the trans of a 2wd slipper clutch gear

Yeah that’s a bummer! I have never had any problems with them except for the 1.5mm hex. I always make sure that the hex is cleaned out and try to seat my driver in perfectly square. If the thing strips out I usually just drill it out and re tap for a new grub screw. Don’t go too heavy with the Loctite! Gently heating the screw up helps loosen the Loctite. You sometimes have to get creative!

I recommend a new screw based on the fact that you can not torque the screw back to proper specifications, seeing as it won't come out under current torque.

Thanks for drawing that to my attention! I always retap the hole and use a new screw. Totally forgot to include that in my earlier post! Seriously, I have only had this problem with the 1.5mm hex set screws. Never on any other size hex. The worst time was when I stripped a 1.5mm that was attaching the transmission end of an MIP rear driveshaft on a 1/10 scale Axial Yeti. They should have put a 2.0 on that! There are a couple of more times that I don’t want to even bring up!

This is where really good hex drivers come in handy. I invested (literally) in some MIP drivers. They have been amazing and bailed me out numerous times. Especially the 1.5 mm.

Yes, of course, better metallurgy and craftsman ship go a long way in the hands of a DIYer. They might even have "strip-out " bits and drivers in certain sizes for just such an occasion, somehow shaped like the new hole in the bolt. If that don't work, I light recommend something like "Grip Doctor", a fluid compound used to tighten a grip. Not sure how it works, as I only know the name, never tried it. My idea might be to pour some crazy glue into the hex hole, stick the bit or driver into the screw, let it dry completely, then try driving it out, using the twist-twist-twist method. Not much of a time saver, unless using a fast drying glue, but hey, when you're desperate, anything makes sense. Keep it reals, gang.

I own a set of the black handled MIP drivers. Good hex drivers are a necessity! The 1.5 is so skinny and brittle that it’ll snap if you accidentally put too much behind it when tightening.

Yeah, like I said yesterday. Sometimes you just have to get creative! Desperate times call for desperate measures!

Anyone know how to get a stripped hex screw out I tried rubber bands already

Depending on where the screw is located ,if it is not in an awkward hard to reach spot ,you can
slot the screw with a Dremel & cut off wheel ,an use a flat head screwdriver to get the screw out!

I done thousands on my stuff ,an in some cases ,I even used the same screw or ,got rid of Allen
an used a different type of screw!...:cool: