Stripped clutch bell issues

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChiefGeek

RCTalk Addict
Military Veteran
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So I replaced my clutch bell when it was stripped. I'm still hearing some grinding or something when I get on the throttle. It only made this sound when the wheels were onthe ground. When held up I can go through all 3 gears with no issue. So I tore it apart again. The clutch bell shows noticable wear and has only been ran a couple times. I have a metal spur so I'm going to replace it with a nylon. I looked into the oil holes on the transmission case and the 3 gears I could see look fine. Where else should I be looking while I have this thing apart to ensure I remedy the problem?

Next question, slipper clutch. Something I read say tighten all the way then back off a quarter turn, but this doesn't seem like a good way of getting proper tension. Another said tighten a little at a time until I can no longer tighten by hand. Any suggestions?

First those aren't oil holes in the side of the transmission. They are for adjusting the shift points of the 3 speed. Secondly if you run a metal spur gear you must run a hardened clutchbell. I prefer the plastic spur gears myself because even hardened clutchbells eventually wear out against steel ones. I much prefer to spend 5 to 8 buucks on a new plastic spur than 16 to 40 bucks on a new hardened clutchbell. I always tighten mine all the way down and then back it off 1/4 turn and run the hell out of it.

Last edited:
+1 on all of what cwal said.

Depending on your engine/gearing, sticking with plastic spurs is a better route to go. If you run really tall gearing and have a powerhouse of an engine, your almost forced to go steel or you just end up melting the center out of the spur due to slippage.

Good to know guys. Thanks. I did go plastic, got two for $4/each. I've put so much work and money in this thing and find myself getting bored with it now. Feeling the urge to go bigger, Baja bigger.

Bored? I have sunk a lot of time and money into mine as well but I can't say that I'm bored with it. I don't see how buying a bigger more expensiverig is gonna cure the boredom unless you just want a Baja. I personally don't have a use for something that big. Plus chances are your gonna have to work on it too so who's to say you won't get bored with that as well. The last time I looked Bajas aren't exactly cheap either. 1200 bucks is just a little too steep for my wallet.

+1 on cwal and Olds. I had the same thing happen before....I killed a couple before I figured it out. Yeah, only metal spur if you have a hardened clutch bell. I do my slipper the same way....all the way down and 1/8 to 1/4 backed off. Get your mesh set right and I have had a plastic spur last a couple years. The Baja is great fun and a even greater expense. Don't get me wrong I love my Baja but damn I though the rest of my RC stuff was expensive. I had no idea......:money::gulp:

i bought a savage 25 new when they first came out and it came with a plastic spur gear and a metal clutch bell.
i have changed my spur gear and cluch bell one time since new

i still have the plastic spur gear but changed to a vented clutch bell
never had a problen since just my .02

Cwal, yea bored, and I don't know how to explain it. I think I'm keeping the old savage but getting rid of the stuff I haven't gotton around tto tuning up that I bought used. I know that no matter what I get will need to be worked on. And yes I do want a Baja, but its more about wanting something different. I'm going with an electric also untilled I get around to getting funds for a Baja. Sometimes you dabble in a hobby and find that it's not exactly what you want so you try something new. Can't fault someone for that.