Stopping an engine

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigben

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I know some people like to squeze the fuel line to stop the engine. Which tends to lean the engine out. Others like to place there finger over the stinger. Which could sting if the engine is nice and hot. Is it o.k. just to open the high speed needle valve till the engine floods and stalls? That way it won't go too lean just flood. Would this be bad on the engine? If os, why?
Thank you again,
Ben

P.s. I am getting better at starting the engine I don't flood it nearly as much. :banana:

You can do that if you want but you would have to retune you engine everytime you start it up.

I would choose to burn my finger.

if you flood the engine till it dies then you will have to drain the fuel from it before starting next time you run. Pinching the fuel line has not hurt any of my engines yet. You can also stop the engine by touching the flywheel, I wont do it this why but it can be done some people do it this way. I just dont like the thought of puting my finger on a steel wheel spining at say 3000 RPM.

I'm a fuel line pincher myself. Never seemed to hurt the engine. It only leans it out for 2 seconds before it dies. :banana:

To pinch the line I have to remove the body first. I tend to burn my hand on the head as well.

If you dont want to burn your finger use another body part. :)

I 'thumb' the flywheel. Sometimes, I use the end of a screwdriver too. Depends on my mood I guess. But I always use the flywheel.

Or you can just run it till its dies on its own.

If you get an exhaust diverter (piece of tubing attached to the stinger) to keep the exhaust away from your vehicle, then you can use a set of plyers to pinch the tubing's end or use your fingers to pinch it. This accomplishes the same affect that putting your finger over the exhaust does. Advantage, you don't have to remove the body to shut down the engine.

I have tried the pinching of the fuel line method, but not the flywheel method. On my T-Maxx, I use the first method I mentioned above. Haven't hurt an engine yet.

putting your palm over the air filter is also a good pain free way of shutting off the engine.

I just keep a 5 gallon bucket of water close by and Dunk it when I'm done. This way I dont have to worry about burning myself, Keeps the car clean too.:chinese:

Originally posted by FastEddy
You can do that if you want but you would have to retune you engine everytime you start it up.

I would choose to burn my finger.
I agree with that one. Besides they make rubber stingers to slide on your stinger and you don't get stung anymore.

I always pinch the line and havent had a problem yet.

New to site

Or how about just let your car run out of fuel lol. Having your engine run lean for few seconds isnt near long enough to damage anytrhing.

Re: New to site

Originally posted by nitroman88
Or how about just let your car run out of fuel lol. Having your engine run lean for few seconds isnt near long enough to damage anytrhing.
Actually repeatedly it will greatly shorten the life of your engine.

The reason i pinch the line is because my AE engine says do not shut off engine by putting finger over stinger, anybody know why they would say that.

o jeeze I'm a moron. lol sorry about the stupid post about lettin the tank go dry esp in break in procces. yea I've heard that once your tank gets below the half mark it leans out. but once it start gettin really low you can tell.

Back