Starting Out Right...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Good Ole Boy

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
So after several years away from R/C, I've decided to get back in. I did R/C Cars when I was a kid some 17-20 years ago, and I can see a lot has changed. I recently got out of R/C Nitro Aircraft, and still have a basic knowledge of modeling and radio equipment. But I now see that things are much more quickly getting better, faster, smaller, ect... I've been reading the forums, (mainly this one) and have gotten some ideas about where to jump back in. I've really took to the closed fender stadium trucks, or short course trucks. I wanted to post what I think is good to start out with and get some opinions and suggestions from you experts.

-Team Associated SC10 (Chose this one because I want to build myself, and paint the body. Slash looks cool, but I'd like a week or two to tinker with the build and paint before running.)

-Futaba 2PL 2Ch 2.4GHz Sport FHSS / Futaba R603GF Rx (This one looks reasonably priced, and I can use it for more than one model... which will most likely be the case. The 2.4GHz seems to be the latest and greatest over FM)
-Futaba S3305 High-Torque Standard Servo w/Metal Gears

And the rest is what's recommended by Tower Hobbies....
(I'm on Tower Hobbies at this point since I know they send overseas to FPO addresses. Would like to support the LHS, but stuck overseas right now. Any suggestions on other mail order stores would be good too.)
I'm interested in the Brushless and LiPo set-ups, but not for this ride. Going to go with Brushed Motor, and NiMh packs for now.

-Associated XP SC200 Electronic Speed Control
-Associated Reedy Radon 17T Motor
-Robinson Racing Absolute Pinion Gear 48P 24T (per suggested equipment)
-MRC Super Brain 977 Battery Charger
-Venom 6-Cell 7.2V 3000mAh NiMH Stick Standard Plug

For mods, just from reading what I've seen on this site and the threads...

-Pro-Line Bead Loc Wheels, and Pro-Line Switch Tires. (I like the no gluing aspect of the Bead Locs. I see they add weight, and plan to assemble the stock wheels and tires that come with the kit for spares. What about a good wheel and street tire?)
-Associated Shock Rebuild Red O-Ring (8)
-Associated Factory Team Green Slime. (I've read the shocks leak starting out, and want to be ready for that...)
-Associated Silicone Diff Fluid 7000 cSt
-Associated Silicone Diff Fluid 3000 cSt (I've read the thicker diff fliuid will encourge Posi-Traction?)
-JConcepts Illuzion Over Tray Clear SC10. (I'm pretty meticulous about keeping things clean.)

I've seen the upgrades for aluminum parts, like RPM brand A-arms, and some chassis braces. What I'm basically trying to accomplish is getting everything together in one maybe two orders. Since I'm overseas and don't want to be short one item and have to wait a week or two for parts to get here. I'm interested in racing at some point, but I doubt there is much for this class of vehicle in Japan. So in the mean time I plan on running any where I can find room. This would be "bashing"???? I found a BMX park that I think I can play in here and there! Just want to get together a good mix of tools and spare parts to keep me running.

Lastly, I would to see some pictures of your trucks to get some ideas going forward, and to see what the set-ups are supposed to look like. If not the information would be most appreciated :D

Nice future plans can't wait until you get everything up and going post some pics of the progress maybe some vids . All the mods i read are really good .

good luck
Paul.

let us know How you like that over tray.. I had it on the slash and I hated, it had to so modded to make it work..:mad::thumbdown:

Back