Starting FT TC4 build Any tricks?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FastEddy

The Slowest Guy In Town
Supporter
RCTalk Vendor
Reaction score
I Just broke the seal on a FT TC4 (THANKS RushRC!)
Is there any mods or recommended hopups I should be looking at during the build?

First thing I'm doing is putting a bevel on all the CF and gluing it. Other then that I haven't heard a peep about recommended mods.

LMK
-Ed

Ed, I saw a bunch of build tips for that version in the past month of two, most likely XRC mag. I'll track it down (I'm a mag pack rat) and get you the month and pages.

I tap the plastic parts. Helps keep from stripping the heads when trying to start a self tapping screw. If you don't have a tapping set, soap (bar soap) will help lubricate as it starts the initial cut.

Coat the threads by packing it in via dragging it across the bar of soap. DON'T DROP THE SOAP! lol

Diver6127 said:
Coat the threads by packing it in via dragging it across the bar of soap. DON'T DROP THE SOAP! lol

What is via???

And diver that sounds like a good tip...

I have XRCs packed away as well. Now that you mention it, I do remember something. Damn Ill have to read them again :)

I learned the soap trick after building my first kit. I still remember the blisters and holes in my hands from the supplied L shaped wrenches. I now swipe the little hotel soaps whenever I go out of town. Take it as you will but the places I usually stay provide the stinky soaps. My RCs smell like a field of lavender or strawberries when I'm done.

ZANDOR said:
What is via???

And diver that sounds like a good tip...
The way something is done.

Shipped via UPS

Use a screwdriver... :)

FastEddy said:
I have XRCs packed away as well. Now that you mention it, I do remember something. Damn Ill have to read them again :)

I learned the soap trick after building my first kit. I still remember the blisters and holes in my hands from the supplied L shaped wrenches. I now swipe the little hotel soaps whenever I go out of town. Take it as you will but the places I usually stay provide the stinky soaps. My RCs smell like a field of lavender or strawberries when I'm done.

The way something is done.

Shipped via UPS

Well i no that duh.The way he posted it I thought it mite be some kind of oil or something :shrug:

Coat the threads by packing it in via dragging it across the bar of soap.

????????

FastEddy said:
Crown Royal this evening Up
Think you'll be able to find your place tomm...

With the kit, not the Crown.

I have a little Tiger Moth. The plans have a place on them that my glass of VO was sitting. Still need to finish it.
The plane that is. :)

Ed, still looking. Will be able to see better tomorrow morning after the Mumm's fog clears. Can't even blame it on a Crown Royal on the rocks and lemon twist tonight. :ponder2:

I just piled the las 4-5 issues next to the shitter. Ill get to them as time permits. Let me know if you find it first.
Thanks....

Awww.....
Nov / 05 Page 94

Ed, I saw one more recent than that. That review you are looking at does have short blurb on build tips, but the one Isaw was a full article. I'll do some porcelian research myself.

sl0eg1n said:
are you going to be racing it in stock?
Thats a good question.
I haven't decided yet. I have a TC3 well 2 of them. I'm thinking Ill run it stock and use the 4 in a different class.

I have started the build and decided to use the metal out drives. Maybe unconsciously I made my choice. It was nice of them to include both sets. Ill get a few extra parts and build them up for spares.

For you CF guys, I have a great time saving tip.

I used my Dremmel router on a Dremmel router table to knock the corners off the CF. Dremmel has a rounded router bit that works well. Use a scrap to set the depth to only take off a tiny bit of the corner not to fully round it. It took about 10 minutes to do all the CF not only the outside but the inside of the cutouts as well. Its totally smooth with no sharp edges.

I also found a great CA glue put out by LocTite. Its called LocTite Super Glue BRUSH ON. It comes in a bottle with a brush. Its thin enough get into and seal the CF yet thick enough not to run and drip all over the CF while putting it on. The brush works great to apply it with. No more mess and CA drips on my CF. The down side is it takes a minute or so to dry, its not instant.

Off to go do some more reading to try to find the article.

We're petitioning to change your name to "tip meister".