Starter Box concern with LIPO Battery - Need advice?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nazUK

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Hi

I have a Kyosho Multi Starter Box Pro 2.0 (KYO36209) and I've just purchased a Lipo Battery which is a Turnigy 5000mAh 4S1P 14.8v 20C.
My concern is when I connect the wires which also look visually thinner than the Lipo wires seem to get warm maybe hot as I did not test long enough to find out, also another thing I noticed were small sparks coming from motor and one of the connections. My worry is is this normal or should I use precautions?

Thanks and I have added a picture with arrows, red arrows indicate which wire's go warm and yellow arrow's indicate where spark's are coming from.

Attachments

• 20121006_224111.jpg
    20121006_224111.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 469
How did you hook it up? One end has a bananna plug and the other has a tamiya. Id solder 2 like connectors on it so you can give it a proper test....and dump the tamiya connector....they tend to melt under lipo use because they have a fairly high resistance. This may be why the wires were getting hot. Test it againt after soldering bananna plug, deans, TRX, EX5, or whatever proper lipo connector you want and test it again....if the wires still get hot then rewire the box with heavier gauge wire.

As for the sparks, those are brushed motors so as far as I know the sparking inside them is coming from the brushes witch is believe is normal.

How did you hook it up? One end has a bananna plug and the other has a tamiya. Id solder 2 like connectors on it so you can give it a proper test....and dump the tamiya connector....they tend to melt under lipo use because they have a fairly high resistance. This may be why the wires were getting hot. Test it againt after soldering bananna plug, deans, TRX, EX5, or whatever proper lipo connector you want and test it again....if the wires still get hot then rewire the box with heavier gauge wire.

As for the sparks, those are brushed motors so as far as I know the sparking inside them is coming from the brushes witch is believe is normal.

Ok I just shimmied the wires together with a tamiya connector and bare wires on the other side just to see if battery worked as I just received the new battery.
I will try the proper banana/bullet connector and see if that makes a difference and get back you.

Thanks

Right I replaced the tamiya with a bullet connector and it seems like they are still going warm so thinking maybe a good idea to change wires to 12 gauge deans wet noodle.