starter box battery noise

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EMPERORLAY

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I have had my battery for my starter box charging for about 1 hour. I went to go check on it and it noticed it was making wierd noises. I sounds like some type of liquid is moving around in it. Is this sound normal:mex:

I've never heard them making liquid-ey noises. Is it a quick charge? If so, the battery could be making the "expanding metal" noise. Other than that I have no idea.

Well dude if you're still around to read this - NO it's no normal. This is a gel cell, a sealed lead acid battery, right? What are you charging it on and at what rate (amperage)?

You should charge an SLA at a rate of 1700 mah or less, if you're using a full size car charger at slow charge - most of those charge at 2 amps, which will cook the battery. And it's possible that's what you are hearing. Boiling. Which can lead to exploding. Which is why I hope you're still around to read this. :eek: Either that or you're charging it backwards (neg/pos switched)

If you're charging using the right rate and it's connected right ,something is still not right, I would take that cell to the local battery shop and have it looked at.

Well dude if you're still around to read this - NO it's no normal. This is a gel cell, a sealed lead acid battery, right? What are you charging it on and at what rate (amperage)?

You should charge an SLA at a rate of 1700 mah or less, if you're using a full size car charger at slow charge - most of those charge at 2 amps, which will cook the battery. And it's possible that's what you are hearing. Boiling. Which can lead to exploding. Which is why I hope you're still around to read this. :eek: Either that or you're charging it backwards (neg/pos switched)

If you're charging using the right rate and it's connected right ,something is still not right, I would take that cell to the local battery shop and have it looked at.

Uh-oh. Lead acid batteries are NOT the kind of thing you want leaking, let alone exploding. If it does blow, you're going to have holes in whatever is in the same room with it. Lots of differently sized, smoking holes. And deadly fumes spreading throughout the house if it's inside.

The charger that I have say's 500mah. . It is making a boiling sound..... god dammit, something is always going wrong.:stickup: Can I just charge it for like an hour at a time.

I think i'm going to switch up the neg/pos and see what happens. If not i'll just charger it outside and if it blows it blows:madface:

The charger that I have say's 500mah. . It is making a boiling sound..... god dammit, something is always going wrong.:stickup: Can I just charge it for like an hour at a time.

I think i'm going to switch up the neg/pos and see what happens. If not i'll just charger it outside and if it blows it blows:madface:

Dude, don't just flip the connections on a whim. Blowing up a battery, any battery for that matter, is really bad for the environment. Not to mention the fact that it could burn your house down!

The key word in a SLA battery is LEAD, my man! I admit to not being a scientist in any way, but I do know that lead causes a lot of health problems and having a lead acid battery explode is not a good thing in any way, shape or form.

If the battery is making strange noises when charging, don't guess on the polarity. Chances are you have it right, so I'd take it back to where I got it because it may have a dead short in it.

Charging a battery is not something you want to guess at, because the results could be downright nasty. If you're in doubt as to the condition of the battery, it's best to take it back and let the shop determine if it's bad.

Is the charger for a lead acid? You can't use a charger for NiMH to charge gell cells

The charger that I have say's 500mah. . It is making a boiling sound.....

500 mah should be fine, but there is definately something wrong. Positive to +, negative to -, I agree, don't play wih batteries. Even a 6 cell pack will cause weld marks on metal, they are that powerful. Have that battery checked out before you go any further.