Spur keeps stripping (maxx v2)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gresvk

RCTalk Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey folks,

3rd spur stripped already for my traxxas maxx v2.

1st one was gone after a hard landing but not immediately, after I drove it for a little.

I changed it (50t again) and new bearings, after 10-15 min the 2nd on was gone.

Today I changed it once again 50t but also changed the pinion to 22t and moved the pin from D to C and it was gone in 20 seconds.

What the heck am I doing wrong 😕 ???

Everything is stock on it.

Is dirt getting in the gears? If not, check the mesh. Pin system or not, your mesh needs to be right. If not, you need to figure out a way to make an adjustment. Even if it means breaking out the dremel.

Well the dremmel is out and loctite hy 4070 😉
Hopefully this would ensure the mesh settings.

I would try again the pin settings and check the mesh to see if further dremmeling is needed.

Good thing that I ordered 3 spur gears 😂😂😂

20220604_153532.jpg

20220604_153518.jpg

Spot on idea that is :) . I have noticed that if that little screw comes even a bit loose our the hole is worn and the thread doesn't catch spur gears be stripping :(. I just ordered a new gear mesh cover fixed it for me. Plus I gave all the motor mount bolts and surrounding bolts on the chassis a good tighten a few did come loose and I cleaned all the crap under the motor mount aswell.

I worn the thread on my gear mesh cover by trying ram the screw in because the fan was in the way. Lesson learned : take off the fan lol.

I used a 4 prong T-nut from the back side. I had to shorten the threaded part a bit as it stuck out beyond the outside of the housing about 1mm, so I couldn't tighten it properly. Seems to have helped my issue at the time. Once I got the nut fit/ground down, I put some shoe goo on it to keep it from falling out when I take the cover off.
2021-0721-maxx-SpurCover4mmTNut-back.jpg

2021-0721-maxx-SpurCover4mmTNut-side.jpg

I wasn't using the pin because I couldn't get good mesh with my 4074 in the stock motor sled. I've since gotten the "big block" motor sled and put a 4092/1650kv in it. Seems I can use the pin now with 24/46 gearing. I have a steel spur now though, got tired of fighting with it. I haven't run it since I put the big block sled in it. I also put down a bead of shoe goo in the sled before installing the motor to limit how much it flexes as I found my motor plate was pretty tweaked.
2022-0602-maxx-bentMotorPlate.jpg

2022-0311-maxx-v2-4092-1650kv.jpg

Back