Spektrum smart batteries and charger.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mixsetup

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi I have the S2200 G2 charger also 2X 3S 3200 mAh and 2X 4S 2200mAh batteries
When I connect my 3S 3200mAh Spektrum smart battery it detects all the settings and just charges.
I now have tried to connect the 4S 2200mAh 14.8v Spektrum smart battery but it does not detect anything.
I then manually put in the settings which are on the battery. The first screen pops up when I connect the battery is a little picture of a battery in red with a question mark saying 2.2V. Other options on that screen are 0.0v .
I go in to the menu and set the settings LiPo, 4S, 6.6A(which it says on the battery) but when I hit start all I get is an alarm with a message saying Abnormal balancer port connection.
I connect the balance lead the same as I do with my 3S 3200mAh batteries.
In the menu when the 3200mAh is connected it says 3S and I can access the Smart battery settings but with the 2200mAh it says 1S and I can not access the Smart battery settings.

Both of the 2200mAh are brand new out of the box and take ic3 connectors.

id say the balance wires are not connected to battery or the small connector on end aren't making contact . look at connections. try a non balanced charge not sure if that charger can do that?

thanks I'll try the unbalanced. Don't think it would be the wires as it's both batteries.

So you are saying the smart charger is pretty dumb lol. I am not familiar with that charger. Does it even do 4s?

Note: charging a multi-cell lipo unbalanced to full capacity can easily damage one of your cells due to overcharging. In worst case scenario, it can overcharge, catch fire, and burn at temperatures hot enough to melt steel while it vents violently the oxygen built up inside of it due to overcharging, and burn your house down.

My recommendation... get away from smart batteries and chargers. It's really funny that we see quite a lot of questions here about smart battery charging setups where people need help. Having a system that is supposed to simplify battery charging, when lipo charging was never really that complicated to begin with, just seems very pointless.

Yeah it does up to 6S. Charges the 3S 3200's just fine just these don't work which is crap.
I have another charger with XT60 connectors so I might just buy some new batteries again to fit that and hope they go.
I'll just have to fly another plane this weekend.

Sorry about the problems. I'm not a fan of smart chargers. Hope you can get it figured out. I would contact Horizon's tech support and see what they say, they may replace your charger if it's not performing correctly.

Back