speed of the HPI RTR Nitro 3 Drift???

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ras

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hello Friends,

I am aged 27 years and was interested in RC cars.

I was interested in finding what is the maximum speed of the HPI RTR Nitro 3 Drift???
Few people have told me they are not meant to be fast cars but I was wondering how fast do they go, what speed?

Is this HPI company good or should I be going for Traxxas, and as a first car buying a drift car for some fun would be good or not or should I be going for a fast speed car.

Your answers would be much appreciated

Thanks,
Ras

hpi drift is nice....dont no the top speed but hear alot of good things about em

If ya want to get into drifting I would suggest electric over nitro. Everything I've read on here and heard say to go with electric. If ya want nitro then the HPI RS4 is the way to go, plenty of available parts just about anywhere and very reliable IMO.

I'd like to expand ^^^.

Most people go electric over nitro because of one reason, the RPM's of the engines. When drifting, there isn't a lot of grip onto the ground, making the engine's load lighter and higher RPM's in lower times. This is bad because it will drastically hurt your engine. Although it's not recommended, there is still a way around this. You can buy a special type of drift tires called "Pit Shimuzus". These drift tires have lots of grip for electrics, but for nitros it will do just fine. Another option is to raise your clutchbell tooth number. This is will put a bit more work on the engine, so no more high RPM's, and it will also raise your top speed. Hopefully this helps out. LMK if you have any questions about drifting.

^ thanks. I knew it had something to do with RPMs but didnt know the details.

speed of the HPI RTR Nitro 3 Drift

Thanks for your reply friend..

I am confused now, from your explananation it looks like nitro's are difficult to maintain, but please tell me are they fun to drive or should i go for any nitro car with out drift.

Please tell me the speed of these drift cars, thanks

I'd like to expand ^^^.

Most people go electric over nitro because of one reason, the RPM's of the engines. When drifting, there isn't a lot of grip onto the ground, making the engine's load lighter and higher RPM's in lower times. This is bad because it will drastically hurt your engine. Although it's not recommended, there is still a way around this. You can buy a special type of drift tires called "Pit Shimuzus". These drift tires have lots of grip for electrics, but for nitros it will do just fine. Another option is to raise your clutchbell tooth number. This is will put a bit more work on the engine, so no more high RPM's, and it will also raise your top speed. Hopefully this helps out. LMK if you have any questions about drifting.

The speed varies for what your setup is and what engine you run. The stock engine, I believe, puts out 45mph. For drifting, you can use any car, as long as it has power to all wheels. The actual vehicle isn't hard to maintain, it's how you drive it that's hard to maintain. When you drift, you use tires with some to no grip onto the surface, which will cause the motor to go to higher RPM's quicker and easily. This is bad and it will hurt your engine. I added that using the tires with lots of grip will make it easier to maintain.

what car would you suggest

The speed varies for what your setup is and what engine you run. The stock engine, I believe, puts out 45mph. For drifting, you can use any car, as long as it has power to all wheels. The actual vehicle isn't hard to maintain, it's how you drive it that's hard to maintain. When you drift, you use tires with some to no grip onto the surface, which will cause the motor to go to higher RPM's quicker and easily. This is bad and it will hurt your engine. I added that using the tires with lots of grip will make it easier to maintain.

Hello Friend,

Hope you are doing all right?

Thanks for your detailed reply, it did answer few of my questions, with your experience which rc sedan car would be good for me, for both reasons speed and drifting or can I buy a good speeding car and put drifting tyres as you advised.

Although I am new to rc cars I would definitely be careful not to rev to a high RPM, how do you think is the traxxas Nitro 4-Tec 3.3, the speed of this car is unimaginable 70 MPH, please advise.

Have you been into rc cars for a while now,

If I have any more doubts can I call you on your mobile, if you provide your number, thanks

The 4-tec is by no means a drift car, just pure speed. As far as Nitro drift, the HPI RS4 Drift looks like a good choice. Once again I'm sure Coby can give you more infor then I can.

if you want to do drifting and have a fast car, you can change the tyres to proper on-road tyres with lots of grip, but if you have a really fast car (like the one that you said can do 70mph) it will be a lot harder for you to control when your drifting and a lot of the time, you will end up putting on too much power and just start spinning.

I have an electric drift car (Tamiya TT01), that i sometimes put road tyres on so that i can use the speed it produces, it can do about 35-40mph, i can control it easily when I'm drifting (i only go about 15 mph with drift wheels, because the rear end starts losing control if i go any faster) but if i had any more power than that i think that i would always crash it.

I don't know how much the drivetrain on the Nitro Drift varies from the stock RS4-3. But I can say that with only minor tweaks (addition of the 2-speed tranny, and porting the sleeve) my Nitro RS4 did get close to 40 mph using my Venom Speed Meter.

drivetrain is pretty much the same on the RS4 Drift as the normal Rs4. A different chassis set up puts more weight in the front for more "realistic" handling. Its comes with the G3.0 engine which I know nothing about, HPI claims 32,000 RPMs with 2+ horsepower.