Spectrum Smart System Question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lion1

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
Hi all. I have a question about Spectrum’s smart system. I am looking about buying a new car that has a spectrum esc and motor. I’m not entirely keen about buying Spectrum batteries and a charger when I already have non smart batteries and chargers. I was wondering if it is possible to use my current batteries that are not Spectrum with the Spectrum esc and just swap the connectors. I know I won’t get the smart benefits but that is fine with me. I can switch later on down the road. Also, will spectrum recievers work with Futaba transmitters and still be able to link up?

thanks.

You can run any brand of batteries. It doesn't need to be Spektrum batteries.

^^^^Ditto.
I use XT90s on all of mine.

Hi all. I have a question about Spectrum’s smart system. I am looking about buying a new car that has a spectrum esc and motor. I’m not entirely keen about buying Spectrum batteries and a charger when I already have non smart batteries and chargers. I was wondering if it is possible to use my current batteries that are not Spectrum with the Spectrum esc and just swap the connectors. I know I won’t get the smart benefits but that is fine with me. I can switch later on down the road. Also, will spectrum recievers work with Futaba transmitters and still be able to link up?

thanks.

I would think you can ,the Smart batteries have a chip in there to program for storage an cut off ,I
dont think that it will effect the rest of the electronics for the change!..:cool:

thanks.
yes you can use any batts you want and any connectors. EC5 connectors are interchangeable with the Spektrum IC5 orange connectors so you can just make adapters that go from EC5 to whatever your standard battery connector is.

Spektrum receivers are not compatible with any other transmitters except Spektrum. Futaba TX need Futaba RX and Sanwa needs Sanwa. Also even if you have a Futaba RX its only going to be compatable with certain models of Futaba radios.

The Arrma Outcast 4s has two Ec5 Connectors for batteries. Is it fine to swap those connectors out to use my current battery and then make a closed loop adapter with another connector to be able to run one 3s or 4s pack?

The Arrma Outcast 4s has two Ec5 Connectors for batteries. Is it fine to swap those connectors out to use my current battery and then make a closed loop adapter with another connector to be able to run one 3s or 4s pack?
You can do that but just be aware that changing the connectors on the ESC will void the warranty if you still have a warranty. If you dont want to void your warranty just make a couple of adapters that go from EC5 to whatever you use.

Back