Spectrum Reciever or Transmitter issues

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty Nail

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I bought a used Losi XXL LST nitro for a steal about a week ago. I knew it needed work but thought I made out either way. I've got the 454 motor started and working on tuning it in. I am having issues with the receiver or maybe the transmitter which is not really allowing me to really tune it like it should. The issue is all the servos start twitching when i turn it on. When I turn it on first thing, they seem to be working fine but after about 30 seconds that when the issues start. I made sure the battery in the truck was charged and even tried another battery source thinking it might be that but it doesn't seem to be it. So I used other servos on the receiver and they act kind of glitchy too. So I don't know if the issue is the receiver or the transmitter. They are both ones that come with the truck originally, DX3S and the telemetry Spectrum receiver. I guess I could just buy another receiver and see, but like most, I try to do it cheap first. Thanks for any help.

Is the glitching happening with the truck running or not? Does it do the same thing when it is running and when it is not?

Were the batteries in the radio replaced as well? Brand new alkaline, no mixing what you had laying around.
Move the radio farther away from the truck. Sometimes that helps, particularly with older AM or FM radios.

Some Spektrum receivers require digital servos. Look the wiring over and make sure there are no places where the insulation has rubbed off.

It is happening when the truck is running (motor). The servos on the truck are JR z270 standard racing servos. If I'm not mistaken those are analog servos so maybe that could be it. I haven't had a chance to put brand new batteries in the transmitter so I will try that. All the insulation seems to be intact covering the wiring. The radio is the 2.4 GHZ and the Spectrum receiver is the one that comes stock with the truck along with the Spectrum radio DX3s.

OK so I bought fresh out of the pack batteries and put them in the transmitter. I hooked everything back up in the truck. Made sure the truck battery was freshly charged. Again for about 30 seconds things are good then it starts the servo glitching and the little orange signal light blinks very fast and not in any particular pattern, just randomly blinks. SO I rebound the radio and receiver and tried it again, same thing. I then took the receiver and plugged another external battery (fresh batteries) source with the same results. I also took the receiver with the other battery source and plugged in different servos and it did the same thing to those servos. They weren't digital either. SO, I guess I'm just going to buy another receiver and see if that helps. Seems to be the cheaper and best starting point...I guess. I can deal with motors all day long but this electrical stuff...yuk!

You might want to check out the Flysky transmitter/Rx. They are amazingly cheap and I haven't heard any complaints. Do a search on eBay.

As a thought, try mounting it in a different location, keep a decent amount of padding under it. It sounds to me like it's got a bad or broken solder joint. Keep it loose and after starting, just hold the receiver so that there is no vibration... If it stops the flashing, glitching etc... I would pop the kids off of it and look at the soldering... If you're not into soldering etc... (If this works) replace the receiver like you were talking about.

My phone LOVES to change words on me!!! Add that to fat thumbs and you get my funk style typo-delic answers ALL the time!!! :cool:

Damned kids and their damned rock and roll music and their long damned hair!!!

Last edited:
Lol!!! I sent them to you from MY lawn! Your problem now! :p

As a thought, try mounting it in a different location, keep a decent amount of padding under it. It sounds to me like it's got a bad or broken solder joint. Keep it loose and after starting, just hold the receiver so that there is no vibration... If it stops the flashing, glitching etc... I would pop the kids off of it and look at the soldering... If you're not into soldering etc... (If this works) replace the receiver like you were talking about.

Yea my kids like to pop off too . I think I will try another receiver. I was talking to a guy today at the local hobby shop...yep we still have a brick and mortar one...he said that truck has sensors in the tranny that could have gone bad and is causing the problem. I have noticed the screen says no telemetry .. I guess I should have mentioned that before

Lol @ the kids! I am not familiar with the telemetry settings on the radio... I am wondering if there might be a way to either disconnect the sensors from the receiver and/or just set the radio 'without telemetry' before you go out and spend money... You may only need a sensor replace? Unfortunately, this is where I have to step out on this repair. I am not familiar enough to guide you thru this part. I am SURE there is someone here who can answer these questions and guide you thru the rest. I'll still be here watching... I'd love to know where this goes and what the fix(es) turn out to be.
Like I said... I'll be here watching for those damned kids!!! :hehe:

Here's what I found out so far. So I took the receiver out put in my futaba one and used my futaba radio 2.4. Everything seems to work but the steering is a little delayed. So anyway I hooked up different servos this time in each spot testing it individually and it seems the servo spot on the receiver is the issue. There is a little place on one of the servos wires too that may be causing the problem. I'm going to get another receiver and may be some different servos and see what happens. Thanks for all the help guys.

Back