Speaking of HOT pack!!!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BOUTCH

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I finished playing with my e-savage, the next day i take out the batts to charge...and i found this:View attachment 6141

View attachment 6142

Can anyone explain to me why it got hot enough to melt the plastic, scared of charging it now...:surrender

Last edited:
Wow, I see on the top pack that even the individual batt wraps split from the heat shrinkage.
That was seriously overheated. What kind of batts are they?

Tenergy 3800Mah Nimh

Last edited:
Over amperage draw from the ESC. I melted down a couple IB 4200's AND Tenergy 4600's with my Mamba Max....there was $120 down the drain. The Tenergy cell don't seem to be able to take the hard draw. They can only handle a 40 amp draw or so MAX....They are better for roto-starts and such. Sucks don't it?

Sucks don't it?

Damn right it does, is it dangerous to charge them? Is there a better pack that can take the heat? Even better, is there lipo batt i can use instead of those melty crap?:puke:

Nah, it should not be dangerous. I started running Max Amps Lipo's and I really like them. I know your pain man....I did the same damn thing. I would try to charge them on a low amperage.....see what happens. The worst that could happen is they slime out. I have never seen a Nimh blow up if you are using a correct charger. If they hold a charge still then you have some real good roto start batteries. Actually my dad has these in his new 16.8V E-Maxx and gets better than 15 minutes for a run time.
http://www.maxamps.com/MA-4700-Emaxx-168-Pair.htm

Yeah mine did the same thing . I just wrapped them in electrical tape and I've been using them ever since ( about a year ).

If you havn't already done so I would change out the stock conectors to some deans ultra plugs because that can be where you are generating some heat, and ya keep charging the packs tell they won't take a charge any more...

You REALLY want to monitor these packs when you charge them the next few times. Only let them charge until they begin to get warm, then take them off.

Are they the same size as the 7.2v pack? And wish one should i get for the e-savage?
They are actually 8.4 volts each, so it's a 7 cell pack. They should fit, it says it's designed for the E-Maxx, and the E-Maxx, I believe, was designed for 7.2 volt batteries. So it should fit the E-Savage.

Edit: It says you will have to replace the battery covers with the strap or mod the cover. You will also need to add the fan onto the ESC.

Last edited:
Boutch, you can get the 7.2 volt Venom 5000 mah batteries on ebay for 50 bucks. The E-Savage ESC is only rated for 14.4 volts. The new E-Maxx is rated for 16.8 volts. DO NOT run those batteries shown above with the stock ESC. It will be fun for a few minutes, until the ESC burns up. You need to stick with a 6 cell, which maxamps has, but you can get the Venom 5000 mah nimh batteries cheaper on ebay.

They are actually 8.4 volts each, so it's a 7 cell pack. They should fit, it says it's designed for the E-Maxx, and the E-Maxx, I believe, was designed for 7.2 volt batteries. So it should fit the E-Savage.

Edit: It says you will have to replace the battery covers with the strap or mod the cover. You will also need to add the fan onto the ESC.

Coby, be careful when reccomending something for a vehicle that you're not familiar with. If he would go out and run those batteries that you suggested very hard for very long, he would have a fried ESC. I know you were just trying to help and we all appreciate the stuff that you contribute, but I wouldn't want someone to have to replace an ESC due to something like that.

Actually, I saw it on a forum. So I basically just quoted it, but I guess it was wrong. Sorry about that.

Thank you guys very much!! Really appreciated the quick info.:bow:

Last edited:
Is the hot bodies a time charger or peak charger? I can't read the writing on it, but it looked like it may have a selection for 10, 20, or 30 minutes. If the Hot Bodies charger is a timed charger, I would reccomend using the traxxas wall charger if you aren't going to watch the batteries the whole time they're charging. If I'm wrong and the Hot Bodies charger is a peak charger, you can use it. I would probably charge them at 2 amps, but watch to see if they get hot.

I've got one of these that I use for backup and it's a great charger with variable charge rates. http://cgi.ebay.com/Prophet-Plus-Pe...VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

Thanks everybody!! The hot bodies charger that i have, what do i plug it on?, it doesn't have any wall outlet?

It has 1A, 2A and 4A.(for each channel)

I might be wrong, but I followed the wire (Not the two Tamiya plugs) to the pair of alligator clips, so I guess that's where something comes in. Maybe a gel pack?

EDIT: You see that big thing that the wire is connected to (It looks like an alligator clip adapter where you plug in the AC plug into). Try separating those two, maybe you'll find your outlet plug.

Last edited:
its an outlet to plug into a cigarette thing in a car. really dont know where the heck i have to plug the alligator clips on to. DAMMIT!!:constipat