soldering tips and knowledge

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MR4X4KING

I have more toys than I know what to do with.
Military Veteran
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
what is a good soldering gun or station just really getting into electric and want to start installing dean connectors.
any good tips or sites for soldering need to know watts and temps so i do not burn stuff up or short things out

any help would be helpfull

i have a hakko station coming in the mail from fasteddy...

Hakko 936. i'll tell you how it is, when i get it. from everything i hear though... this is the one to have.

A little story:
Went to the track on Sat. and toasted a motor. Hmmm.... I forgot my soldering iron (Always forget something). Ask around for one to use. The first one was a cheap-o. I plugged it in and let it heat up. After it was hot, It wouldn't even melt the solder on the motor wire so I could change it out. Another person saw this and lent me his. It was a lot larger so I plugged it in and let it heat up. Same thing. It would melt the solder on the top layer but wouldnt get everything hot enough to unsolder the motor wire.

So.... 35 minutes later I managed to burn my arm and become extremely frustrated trying to use cheap equipment. What would have been a 3 minute job with my Hakko turned out to be a job that never got done.

Buy once, buy good, and dont forget to bring it to the track.

solder

great info now send me some info pics and prices
what do you have eddy

Hakko is definitely the way to go. I got one and will never be without one.

I watched Ed trying in vain to solder those motor leads with those cheap irons. I could smell the frustration coming off of him. No wait...that was the smeel of his burnt flesh from brushing his arm against the iron tip. :green-grin:

I'm out of stock right now but should have another one or two in stock late next week.
http://www.teamfasteddy.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=33&products_id=2915

hakko936.jpg

still looking for help and knowledge

I have a metcal soldering station and absolutely love it. but the station alone is around $200 used then you need to get your tools and tips which is more than the base station. however from turn on to solder is less than the time i can grab it and touch it to where i am soldering.

anyway besides that, what kind of soldering knowledge are you looking for exactly? can you be a bit more specific on what exactly you are looking to do.

Eddy is right. Buy once and buy good. I use my dads old Weller. That thing must be 25 years old and it does everything I need. So spend the money, and buy a good one, so you wont have to worry about it for 20+ years.

Bryson

Hakko is the way to go and as I recall FastEddy has the best price around for one. I went through several cheap weller and radio shack ones before I got the good one and I'm really annoyed at myself for how much time and energy were wasted with the crap ones.

Back