So I got some "48 pitch" pinions for my rc. The pitch of the spur gear is also 48. So why don't the gears mesh together? Money wasted.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Umm... 48DP and 48P are the exact same pitch dude. 48P is just the common abbreviation for diametral pitch. DP or P is the distance around the pitch diameter from one tooth to the next.

I can only guess the reason you were stripping gears is because you were running 48P gearing with .6 mod gearing. They are not compatible. Let me reiterate - 48P and 48DP is the exact same pitch. Mod .6, while close, and nearly impossible to tell the difference with the naked eye, is a slightly different pitch, and just enough different they are not compatible.

So I don't understand at all what you are saying here. Your earlier post that I quoted here says they are all 48P, but your latest post here says you've never seen a 48P gearset on an HSP, and they are all .6. I'm confused 🤔
When i first replied, almost a year ago, i was going by what other people had said, that the HSP cars were 48P, or 48DP, so, i got a set of 48P pinions, but kept stripping them. From experience with a whole lot of HSP cars, I have since learned they are mod .6, and that is why i kept stripping 48P gears.

Ignore the MOD .6. They are a 48DP, not a 48P, and no matter what anyone says, 48DP and 48P are NOT the same.
WRONG! They are EXACTLY the same.

Depending on the tooth count on the pinion, and how well they are made, you can sometimes, albeit rarely, get 48DP and 48P gears to mesh
48DP and 48P gears are EXACTLY THE SAME.

Look up the HSP (Hobby Park) 11184 metal spur. That spur will fit literally every HSP rebranded car with the 64T spur. Its the spur i use for every HSP build i do, including my recent BMW M3 on-road build, that uses the HSP touring car chassis, that is also used in the Redcat Lightning.
Then what is going on here, if the HSP cars have .6 mod gearing, the so-called 48DP gears you are buying that work are actually .6 mod gears, mislabled as 48DP, because they are poopy Chinese gears.

Again...
48P and 48DP are the EXACT SAME GEARS. I worked as a machinist for 25+ years, and 8 of those years was spent working at C&R Racing in Indy, where we made $26,000 NASCAR transmissions, among many other race components. So please stop spreading misinformation.

48DP and 48P gears are EXACTLY THE SAME.
Do you not realize just how old this post is? When i made the original comments, i was using info i had gotten from another forum, since, typically, asking about anything HSP based here didnt get any responses. Since then, i have learned that i was wrong, and, i freely admit that. My question is, how many people actually bother reading a post or thread that is nearly a year old.

Well, tudor revived it, and I didn't catch the dates. But even so, it's not good to leave a thread with all this info that is incorrect. Go back and delete it. It can show up on google searches easy enough.

Back