So, i got a new job.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beason

Bash, Fix, Repeat..
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I got offered a position at a new place at the end of last week. I am torn on leaving where I'm at, but excited for the new opportunity. I have a 2 mile commute now, love the job, and have 4 years at this place. The new position will be about 30 miles away, but is paying way better, with a lot better opportunity for growth. I feel like I'm topped out where I'm at.

I will not be working for the aerospace program any longer, and will be making the move to big oil. specifically a worldwide oil and gas shipping company.

They offered me a 20%+ increase over what i am making now, and my job description will be broader, so i will be able to learn some new things. Plus the user base will be significantly less. Right now there are two techs in my building, and 750 users. the new position will be two techs, and about 35 users. But again there will be more then just desktop support to do, so i should stay more then busy.

The company is a European company and from what I've heard, they really take care of there employees. The "perks" are definitely better then what i have now. After the 10 weeks, i will go perm and all the perks will kick in.

It will be a 10 week, temp to hire position, so I'm going in kicking ass and taking names. I will make it where they have no other option but to hire me and bump that pay scale up even higher.

Wish me luck my RC family, and keep me in your thoughts. I hate change, but i feel its the right thing to do.:\

Definitely best of luck with the new job! Sounds like a great opportunity for you and hard to turn down for sure. I just hope the stress level doesn't increase the same 20%.

Go for it bro! I'm glad to hear its a company that has a rep for treating their employees well.

Ambition makes me sick.....:hehe: Good luck man!

I wish you the best of luck, even though it's a cover company for BP and you'll be their public relations spokesman. :D

Good luck beason! I'm in the same boat man. I just left my job of 5 years to become "self employed". Scary as hell, but the pay increase will make the extra headaches worth it in the end.

I wish you the best of luck, even though it's a cover company for BP and you'll be their public relations spokesman. :D

If i turn on my TV and see beason on it doing a BP commercial, I'm gonna lose it. Then I have seen it all! :)

Congrats Beason!

Thanks guys! I still have 2 weeks at my current job, then the big switch. And no its not BP!

ROFL!!

this company just ships the stuff, no drilling. the big oil tankers, and the smaller afromax lightering vessels.

thats great beason. congrats on the new job. i guess it must be something in the air, as i got me a new job as well.
i work as a IT helpdesk advisor for financial advisors and stock brokers for the amerprise corp. fixing cpu process errors and troubleshoot programs and encryption programs, things of that nature. i absolutely love it here, and the work is easy for me. the pay rocks as well, i forsee some rc upgrades in my future! lol

well, I've been at the new place about a month and a half. So far, so good. There is a lot of stuff yet to learn, but I'm picking up the main stuff pretty well. I'm split between downtown houston, and galveston, and do 3 days, and 2 days respectivly. There is a bunch of cool stuff down in galveston, but houston is just a typical office.

The company runs the VLCC ships that carry about 2mill gallons of product and smaller tankers that carry 1mill gallons, from overseas, in the singapore area, then ship the stuff here. Once it arrives here, we send out Aframax tankers which carry 500k gallons, and perform what is called "lightering". This is where we pump off a portion of the product to the smaller ship. The reason behind this is because the galveston bay is only about 5ft deep, with trenches dredged for the ships to travel to the port. The large, and very large crude carriers sit to deep in the water and cannot enter the bay. We have to make them "lighter". The VLCC's cannot enter the bay even empty, so we perform 4 lighters to it and empty it completly. the LCC's get one lighter, then both ships come up the channel together. All of the scheduling, mapping, and work for the lightering ships is done in houston, and they are soon moving the team that does the VLCC and LCC to houston.

The galveston office is offshore services. The are the teams that support the lightering opperation. They deploy "bunkers" in between the two ships, and also carry the hoses used for the lightering. they also perform crew changes, and carry parts and supplys out to the aframax, and tankers vessles.

We are also starting in the "clean product" industry, which is the transport of pre refined products, like heating oil, gas, ETC. this takes special ships or retrofitted older ships, since you cannot carry "clean" in tanks that have previously had crude in them. The tanks also require a special coating.

I know how you guys like pics so here you go.

New facility in galveston, the previous was destroyed by IKE
2010-12-09145244.gif

Capt. Tracey. Offshore's designated chef, and member of the "Banditos".
2010-11-19165740-1.gif

Parts at the storage area of the dock.
2010-11-23095916.gif

A couple of the "bunkers". these are the mid sized ones.
2010-11-23095934.gif

View from front of the new facility. This pic shows a couple of the lightering support vessles, and capt tracey's crew boat. the "AET Shelby".
2010-10-26143904.gif

This is the view from the houston office. 9th floor in the galleria area.
2010-10-27130710.gif

Very Nice, looks like a cool place to work, and that propeller on the ground, or at least I think that is what it was is freaking huge.

Back