So I fired up the savage the other day...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alien13

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Now I see why some of you guys switched to electric. Nitro is fun, but you gotta start it, warm it up, fine tune for temp/humidity, watch the temps. Since I've been racing electric, nitro hasn't really been as appealing. At least with electric, once you have the gearing and esc set, you can turn the switch on and go.

That doesn't mean I'm getting rid of my nitro trucks. Especially not my Savage! :D

Lol, don't worry Rolex, we know that will never happen.

Well, if you still like stuff that makes noise, 1/5 scale is pretty easy compared to nitro as well. Charging my baja now for a run tomorrow... 1st run of anything in about a month.

Well, if you still like stuff that makes noise, 1/5 scale is pretty easy compared to nitro as well. Charging my baja now for a run tomorrow... 1st run of anything in about a month.

^^This, I've adjusted my Baja carb twice. Once when the weather changed, and once when I added the pipe. After going brushless, then gas, I'll never go back to nitro due to the fuel costs alone in the this area.

+1, HPIguy! I just charge my Baja and fill the tank and go. Almost as easy as running my electrics.

I would love to go 1/5 scale, it just takes a much larger initial investment. That's the only reason I didn't start out with a baja.

+1, HPIguy! I just charge my Baja and fill the tank and go. Almost as easy as running my electrics.

Yep, I even soldered up a charge lead for my radio. So I just charge both, and I'm good for at least four hours of play time.

I would love to go 1/5 scale, it just takes a much larger initial investment. That's the only reason I didn't start out with a baja.

It is a big investment, that's what held me back so long. But, I found a smokin' deal on an SS on Craigslist with two tanks through it. Also, I sat down and actually did the math; nitro fuel is $52 a gallon here, a gallon of pre-mix with really good oil is about $6. I get more run time on a gallon in the Baja, than a gallon of nitro in the Savage for almost 1000% less cost. It will eventually pay for itself if I'm able to keep it that long.

I should get a Baja, I want either a 5t or a 5sc. Too bad I can't afford it.

I bought my Baja used for about the price of a new Savage ($600) from another member here. You might want to also look at our sister forum largescaleforums.com.

I bought mine new as the SS kit due to fear of the unknown that buying used implies.

It has it's shortcomings though:
1) not the easiest to work on
2) requires a lot of space to run and wrench
3) 1:1 gas stinks up a house (live in an apartment...)
4) parts are expensive (stupid tires...)
5) initial buy in is pretty expensive for a basher
6) annoying to haul and store due to size

But, the ease of running, run time per tank, toughness of parts and just general badassedness make it a good long term buy. ;)

Nitro and electric have their issues as well.

Sorry alien13, I didn't mean to turn your thread into a "baja" thread...

Actually Olds, you brought up some good points, and thanks.

I've been eyeballing a shortened chassis conversion to make it a bit smaller. Only shortens it two inches, but those that have done it say it changes the handling entirely in ways that sounds like something I'd like.

As a plus, may help with storage/hauling of the thing. $200 to find out...

Oh what I would give to get a baja 5b! Prolly give both my nitro trucks away...lol