SMT10 - My first solid axle monster truck build

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Register Log in

marauder

Hardcore RCNT User
RC Driving Style
Bashing, Racing
So recently I’ve gotten into solid axle monster trucks. Thought I’d share my first build. Started life as a new Max-D SMT10 from Axial racing. Still a work in progress waiting on a lot of parts orders. Feel free to ask any questions. Thanks!

Electronics:
  • Removed axial esc/motor
  • Savox SA1230SG
  • Mamba X esc and 1406-5700kv running on 2s lipo
Drivetrain:
  • Replacing as things break which is fast
  • HR trans gears
  • Axial HD bevel gear set stock ratio for front and rear to be installed
  • Axial cvd’s for front to be installed
  • Proline Brawler wheels
  • Prolibe Destroyer tires
  • Axial flat 12mm hex (stock hex will not work with these wheels unless you drill the wheels or grind off the step).
Body:
  • Modified new rear body mount
  • Justin’s Customz wrap Hot Wheels body
Trying to keep as much stock and plastic as possible to keep the weight down. I really like the quality of the axial parts (excluding stock driveline). I believe the driveshafts will hold up and are a cheap weak point.

Attachments

Last edited:

WoodiE

Kind of good admin
Administrator
RC Driving Style
Bashing
Good looking Axial SMT10 @marauder! Every time I see one of these I have a huge itch to get one. I know my son would love it and even more so fitting a Grave Digger body on it.

marauder

Hardcore RCNT User
RC Driving Style
Bashing, Racing
Justin does some sick digger, Sonuva digger, etc. thinking about doing a mad scientist body through him as well. The Grave Digger axial actually looks nice and scale. The max d didn’t look right with the stock tires. I attached a pic of how it would look with the maxd body. Not my pic though.

I really like how this one turned out though. Even bought a diecast version. Hahahahaha

2D3C02B8-20CB-4CAA-9BEA-A4E95854E869.jpeg
C5E5BEC6-6817-4530-86D8-A0B0F8AB00CC.jpeg

marauder

Hardcore RCNT User
RC Driving Style
Bashing, Racing
Was $135 shipped since it’s paint and wrap. He does a lot of the hot wheels paint schemes, but can replicate almost any scheme. Hardest part is the bodies to be similar. He’s on Facebook but I recently joined the delete Facebook movement. A casualty is losing all my rc groups but oh well.

Here’s his website. He’s out of Ohio. Currently I think he’s busy, but typically is a quick turnaround. He does sell the wraps you can install on your own if you already have a body.

http://justinscustomz.com/

Last edited:

WoodiE

Kind of good admin
Administrator
RC Driving Style
Bashing
@marauder you're not helping my itch. I think I like that Hot Wheels body better than a Grave Digger. I don't need another RC, but I sure do want one! :D

marauder

Hardcore RCNT User
RC Driving Style
Bashing, Racing
Haha I know. It’s a bad addiction. It brought out the kid in me when I held the diecast. Where was this stuff when I was growing up? We had micro machines knock offs and match box cars we couldn’t afford the hot wheels on lawn mowing budget.

I must say, this hands down is one of the coolest looking rc I’ve built, I can only do basic bodies and it was worth every dollar having one made for the truck. It’s going to be hard to bash on this one, but that’s why I built it, to send it. I am generally not too hard on my rigs though.

Alexander_0_1

"Roads, where we're going we don't need roads"
Supporter
RC Driving Style
Bashing
Man that’s a sick lid on your SMT-10, I want one, but I’m holding back until I finish my burly mud truck.

When I was little the match box cars were the more expensive ones, now when I take a stroll through the toy section I look for the little cars that are movie replicas, I have several batmobiles, a back to the future car, a smokie and the bandit trans am, and a few from that movie “dazed and confused”

marauder

Hardcore RCNT User
RC Driving Style
Bashing, Racing
Got the body mounted, steering servo installed, put the planetary covers on the wheels after installing Traxxas locking serrated wheel nuts, adjusted gear mesh on motor again, then ran a pack through it and so far all seems to be very smooth on stock axles. Need to raise the front of the body a touch. Decided to take a few pics of the monster trucks. Enjoy.

Attachments

D3MON

RCNT Talkaholic
RC Driving Style
Bashing
also a model that you may be able to use ideas/parts from is the XTM X-Factor. god i remember seeing that in my rc magazine and wanting one so bad.

marauder

Hardcore RCNT User
RC Driving Style
Bashing, Racing
These have ended up being shelf queens for me, once I got them built I really couldn’t bring myself to drive them. Debating selling them though, moving to Florida this year and will be starting on my next project with a 4-rotor RX8 build soon. If anyone is interested let me know I’ll dig up a list of all the goodies included. Still not sure if I can let the one from Bari go though, but I might.