Smoking XL-2.5 ESC

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrumi

RC Newbie
Reaction score
So long story short I was dumb and bought the series connector for my son's Slash 4x4 1/16 stadium truck. Obviously that doubled the the voltage which was bad and I lit that speed controller on fire. I instantly knew the stupidity I had done. No problem I just ordered a new XL-2.5 and plugged it back in tonight with a ***single*** battery. Well now the new ESC starts to smoke... I have no clue what is causing that now, and I'm not sure I should be just getting more ESC to sacrifice without having a better understanding of what is going on. I know that electronics run on magic smoke and when you let the magic smoke out of them they don't run anymore.

BTW the steering servo work great....

Some pics of what you have going on might help. batteries, esc, all of the electronics.

I never burned any Traxxas ESC and I have a bunch of Traxxas cars, except xl2.5. it died literally on my work bench, just testing it while holding car in the air. I was able to fit xl5. I think you need to dremmel a little bit, there is 2 latches, or you can glue it in with thicker double sided tape.

In my mini erevo I used xl5 because I had one laying around from other project. I am not sure about dimensions but i would rather buy hobbywing if you can fit it

I believe you adding 2nd battery to 1st 2.5 smoked the motor also( as in you melted the brushes to the com so now its a direct short).replace motor and esc should resolve your added battery issues

I believe you adding 2nd battery to 1st 2.5 smoked the motor also( as in you melted the brushes to the com so now its a direct short).replace motor and esc should resolve your added battery issues
Ok If I'm doing that do you have any good suggestions as a good replacement (maybe going brushless) in this 1/16 scale slash?
Could I just straight up drop this in? https://www.spektrumrc.com/product/...3300kv-sensorless-motor-combo/SPMXSEMC01.html I'm fine doing a little custom work to get the ESC mounted, but will everything else be a drop in replacement?

Last edited:
Ok If I'm doing that do you have any good suggestions as a good replacement (maybe going brushless) in this 1/16 scale slash?
Could I just straight up drop this in? https://www.spektrumrc.com/product/...3300kv-sensorless-motor-combo/SPMXSEMC01.html I'm fine doing a little custom work to get the ESC mounted, but will everything else be a drop in replacement?
That's way too big. I would buy 30 amp hobby wing quick run esc and 28mm diameter motor, maybe like 2840 or something in that range. But duy to motor bolt spacing you may have to dremmel motor mount a little bit, or order Traxxas vilenion motor mount. I am not sure but I think brushless version has slightly narrower motor holes. But dremmel will do the job