Smoking and Blinking XL-5 ESC

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RC-344

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
I was running my Traxxas Stampede 4x4 with stock ESC, motor, and servo but it has a modified pinion gear and a water cooler with water pump. I was running it today for the third time since adding the water cooler/pump and the pinion gear (original 10tooth now a 13 tooth) and mid run it just stopped. I pressed the power button and the led flashed green a few times on the ESC then smoke came out for a sec and it turned off. Dose that mean I need a new ESC? After looking around I see that people had similar issues (https://www.rctalk.com/forum/threads/esc-smoking.130334/) and the suggestion was to put in a new, more powerful ESC like a Hobbywing 1080. Dose anyone have any ideas on what my issue could be?

esc is smoke that's the magic white smoke we all have been searching for a way to put it back in.. sorry man its toast burnt toast

I'm not a fan of Traxxas ESCs because I had nothing but problems with them. I went to Hobbywing in all of my rigs and never a issue.

Thanks for everyone's advice! Since I need a new ESC will a Hobbywing 1080 work well with a Titan 12t 550 motor? I believe it should but I want to make sure.

You'd be better off getting a brushless combo. That way you have a motor matched to the esc. That titan 12t wont last long anyway. Hobbywing is a good option. Castle creations is another good option.
I almost forgot..... you water cooled an XL5?

Oops, I didn't clarify. I water cooled the motor not the ESC. I might look into brushless options but that would most likely be too expensive however brushless is still a good idea.

Thanks for everyone's advice! Since I need a new ESC will a Hobbywing 1080 work well with a Titan 12t 550 motor? I believe it should but I want to make sure.
I would buy a complete brushless system like @Mrgoodwrench35 mentioned. I have a Hobbywing system in my Stampede 4wd and a cheap brushless system in my 2wd which is a kick in the arse to run.

The normal 2wd stampede is iffy with a a 12T Titan. The 4wd has big heavy meats to spin. If it was a crawler thst would be different. Thats too much strain for a motor that size imo. I also vote brushless.

12t titan is a proven work horse. it will be fine in any rc traxxas has put them in. they just need a cool off period between packs,stick with brushed if brushless is to costly, then those that said brushless will want to set you up with li[po .and a charger for them
once a 12t is broken in correctly one should get many hours of rc time.I use the old antifreeze in a bowl with a new 12t hook a D cell up let it run

No offense (now I can say offensive stuff regret free 😁) but a 12t titan = 💩. Brushed vs. brushless is night and day difference. Same with Nimh vs lipo. I wouldn't be involved in this hobby if we were still stuck with the old battery tech. Lipo was a game changer for me. My advice to anyone playing with RC is to stay away from brushed stuff. I know there are some hard core (usually old school) crawler guys out there who still swear by brushed motors but I think thats people hanging on to the past. JMHO.

Brushless systems have become pretty affordable for 1/10th scale stuff. I've seen hobbywing combo's for $100 to $150 and china brand stuff for $60 on amazon that will out perform the titan/xl5 combo. tntpoof is right though, you'll also want to step up to lipo power which requires a different charger and some battery education. It will also greatly increase your power to the wheels and usually double your runtime. An adequate lipo charger and a 2 cell lipo could be had for under $100. I guess it depends on what you want/have to invest in your hobby.

On a side note, I do have a couple spare xl5's that I'll never use. If you would cover shipping, I'd gladly send them your way.

I already use a lipo battery so that is already figured out. I might go for a brushless motor and I found this Hobbywing esc/motor combo and I might get it since it seems to be better quality. And thank you Mrgoodwrench35 for your kind offer from your spare xl5's but the more people say it, the more I realize that brushless might be the best way to go. Again, thanks for your offer Mrgoodwrench35 and for everyone's support!

Back