Smart Batteries and Chargers

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahr43

Hardcore RCTalk User
Military Veteran
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Our battery producing friends over at GAce are announcing entry in the 'smart battery' field with a 3S, 4S and 6S 100C HV release. LED on end of battery indicates level of charge remaining along with other uses. Full charge kicked up another tenth to 8.7V.

[Edit: wondering what you guys' thoughts are on this 'smart' trend for batteries and how they are working for you.]

This grabbed from the BSq RC website:

GA Smart Battery

Last edited:
I prefer cheap stupid batteries. ;)

Spending that kind of money on a lipo seems silly to me with as many options as we have these days. A few buddies of mine run some of the spektrum smart packs and they don't seem to perform any better than the packs I use, they just cost twice as much or more. The self storage charging thing takes days due to the super low wattage and with them, you have to have the spektrum smart charger to program the packs to self discharge and whatnot.

I run a few different brands, c-ratings, capacities, but all of them were relatively cheap. I think 4 of the packs I have I got super cheap because CNHL had something setup wrong on their site... or they were old stock. Either way, they work fine for me.

Same here. I have no need, nor a desire to buy another charger just to have an electronic brain make charging lipos easier. I mean, it's not rocket science. Sure, the batteries tell ya how much charge you have left. But so does my lvc's. And let's face it... I only care to know when my pack is charged or discharged. Anywhere in between is playtime.

Smart battery charger queation
Does it balance charged on its own evwn using different battery?
I can't find any balance charged on this settings it just charged,discharged,storaged charged

20221105_155945.jpg

I'm charging gensacearespammers
Can someone help with the worrect current i can charged the 4s 6800mah
Was set at 12.0A

Attachments

• 20221105_160157.jpg
    20221105_160157.jpg
    440.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 20221105_160157.jpg
    20221105_160157.jpg
    440.2 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Gens advertises up to a 5C charge rate but I generally never go above 2C. 1C is ideal though if you have the time to wait.

I try to plan ahead enough to charge at 1C as well.

As far as smart batteries go, my Vorteks came with the Spektrum Smart charger and a single pack. I like the charger, seems to work well with all my batteries.

The only thing I really like about the Spektrum Smart batteries is that it will self discharge to storage level after a set amount of time. I usually have it set for 24 hours to self discharge. So the Spektrum is usually saved as my last pack because it's one less I have to worry about discharging if I don't use them all.

Back