Small pool issue

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hyster

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Okay, my wife bought a small pool that has a filter pump to in our back yard for the kids. Sorry to sound like an old Sour person but I wasn't for it because I knew that it wasn't going to turn out well eventually.
My instinct turned out to be true. After a few rainy days, some crud got in it. Sure no problem that can me scooped out with net and shock it. Here's the starter though of the bigger problem. The motor on the filter burnt up because some how the two holes for the filter were plugged by the plugs that came with it while it had been running. So, the water couldn't be filtered. Also, she didn't buy a cover or shock it after the first time it was used, so now, (OMG I hate telling this) there are freaking mosquito larvae swimming in there. Yes, damn it! In a giant stagnant 10'x3' pool!
So now I am frantically tossing in Clorox (bleach probably not good) and mixing the water with the net, catching what I can and tossing out. Also I am draining the water which I know I will have to spray the area too.
Am I doing the right thing or is there a better way besides lighting it up? My neighbor hood wouldn't be up for that.

The Clorox shock will do it. You MUST run the filter to clear it out till it gets to the point where you can see clear water and start balancing the PH.
Keep a close eye on the filter, since it will need a lot of cleaning during the process.

err... sorry, the filter is toast right now. So just more Clorox? I'm draining the whole thing now. BTW thanks for the advice though.

We had a similar pool that we got for our kids. Nice to have in summer time, but a PITA to keep clean, even with a cover. I almost did the same thing with the plugs when I was changing the filter in ours. If you end up buying a new filter unit for it, consider buying the next size up if possible, I think those things are under-sized for the pools. Until then, keep the Deep Woods OFF handy :)

Errr......without a working filter, the shock is useless. Just drain it and the larvae will die without a swamp to live in.

+1 You need the filter running 10-12 hours minimum per day to keep that water clean. Check the balance every few days as well, and you will need to shock it at least once or twice a week to keep things in order.

No matter what you do...without a filter running...you're screwed and will just work against a brick wall. ;-)

thanks for the advice guys. It has completely drained now and it rained too. I will probably lay a little more Clorox on it again and hope to find a place to store it until we can get a new filter motor to replace the old one.
Thanks again. ;)

Back