Slipper Clutch Wear during Break-in

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamk

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I'm new to nitro trucks and just bought a T-maxx. During the break-in process the slipper clutch got destroyed. One of the friction material pads was completely gone and another was only half way there.

My questions are, how quickly are these pads supposed to wear? Obviously not that quickly. Has anyone else had this issue right out of the box? And where do I start after replacing it because I was unable to finish the break-in process?

Thanks
Adam

What kind of slipper is it? The revo kind or the older one with little red slipper pegs? If it's the revo kind, I'd have to guess it was a fluke or was over tightened and the pads were cracked. If it is the little red peg kind, fill all the holes with pegs and they will last longer, but make sure to have your slipper fairly tight as when it does slip, they burn down pretty quick. Also regardless of which, make sure to clean all contact surfaces with DA to get any residual oil off of them. One drop of oil will toast a slipper.

It's the Revo style with the 3 pads. I thought maybe it had been a manufacture defect because I couldn't imagine that they would go that quick. I have replacements on the way.

But, where do I start in the break-in process? Where I left off? Or, do I start over again? I was about a quarter of the way through the 4th tank.

Where you left off is fine.

Does your slipper have a spring on it behind the locknut or are there two washers? If there's a spring, I think your ok tightening it down until the spring is compressed, then backing it off 1/4 turn. If there are two washers, like this - () mount them in the same way when you put it back together. Just tighten the nut down snug, then adjust it when you run it. If you tighten it too much, you will crush the washers which ruins their purpose.

Ok, thanks. It's the 2 washers. What I was wondering, because the two washers act as a spring in their design, could I set them the same I would if it were a spring? Just tight and then backing off a quarter turn?

No, you have to be more careful. Just tighten the nut until it's gently snug, then adjust the slip once you get the engine running. They go flat pretty easy if you horse the nut down.

Back