Sledge bouncing

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

partsmgr

RCTalk Racer
Lifetime Supporter!
Supporter
Military Veteran
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Bought a Sledge last weekend and am really enjoying it. I bought it to jump and do flips which it does well. My only issue is most timed when it lands it bounces over onto the roof. Is there a way to take the bouncing out of it? I'm thinking a different shock oil but don't know which way to go, thicker or thinner. It is all stock.

spring rate makes it bouncy a thicker shock oil will help but spring rate makes it bounce ..

Thanks for the reply. Would I want a stiffer spring or a softer one?

Depends on wether you're bottoming out or not. If not, go for softer springs. The idea is that the full range of motion of the suspension gets used for the landing (the bound phase). This gives the dampers the most time to take out the kinetic energy and turn it into heat. If the spring is too stiff, the upward motion (rebound phase) happens too early, leaving a lot of energy to go up.

However if the spring is too soft, your suspension will bottom out. Bottoming out is essentially a super hard spring, so whatever energy was still there, will now bounce the body upwards. In that case go for stiffer springs.

Thicker shock oil helps in both cases.

Thank you, guess I'll just have to try something and see what happens and adjust from there.

I have been looking at the Sledge. Looks nice. I like how the motor is mounted.

Really enjoying it. Fast and loves to fly.

I had a sledge and loved it. Had to let it go though. But it was probably right up there with my xmaxx as a favorite to drive. Could take a real beating and not even wine about it. I don't like the fact your motor size is limited due to lay out of the chassis design. Yet it's so fast stock it really shouldn't be that big of deal. Especially with a Max 6 esc you really can't ask for more. I mean you can but you'll just be getting overpowered performance trauma. And that's a dark road to wander. They fixed the dogbone issue correct? From having to much play in the cup causing them to fly out and break? If not a simple piece of rubber tubing cut about a quarter inch thick put in the drive cup then the dog bone after will fix it. I put on some duratrax belted havocks and that helped with my landings along with some 80w oil. Seems like that be too thick but it worked for me.

As long you are able to get a front/rear "bones level" (driveshafts parallel to the ground) ride height, and the shock spring collars aren't maxed out in either direction, I wouldn't worry about the springs. I would be more worried about tuning with shock oil thickness, and shock pistons to get what you want from the shocks.
https://www.teknorc.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Set_Up_Guide.pdf
1687191819693.png

1687191858869.png

1687191949016.png

1687192000283.png

1687192042906.png

1687192093021.png

Last edited:
Thanks for the info.

I run my ramp truck stiff to help absorb as much of the energy from the landings as possible. You need to be dampened appropriately to control the rebound. I recommend going up 10wt in shock oil and see if that works. I've also found that really flat landings tend to bounce my truck more.

It might just be your chassis bouncing off the ground when you land. If so, just give it a bit of thrawdle to get the backend under control.

Back